Governments Should Offer A Free University Education To Any Student Who Has Been Admitted To A University But Who Cannot Afford The Tuition.

Prompt:

Governments should offer a free university education to any student who has been admitted to a university but who cannot afford the tuition.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The recommendation could bring significant benefits to the poor students and parents by offering them an equal education opportunity. However, I could not fully agree with the suggestion considering the possible negative effects it will bring. To avoid the obvious flaw, I come up with an improved proposal.

To begin with, the suggestion is beneficial to the students and parents, and also the reputation of the government from the following aspects.

Firstly, it could save those who can not afford the expensive tuitions from losing the valuable education opportunity that will change the destiny of the whole family. In previous education strategy, getting educated was a pure personal affair, and many students from the remote areas could not support themselves and had no choice but to drop out of school. But this lost opportunity means a lot the poor guy, in that it will help himself to find a good job in urban city, and his next generations would then avoid repeating the bitter experience as him.

Secondly, the subsidization from the government will help create a good reputation of the government, which further contributes to the stability and harmony of our society. Moreover, parents are also encouraged by the good news and they then stimulate their students to work hard to gain the opportunity of being supported to get higher education. In this sense, the level of education of the whole society will be enhanced.

However, this strategy is unexceptionally a coin of two sides. And there exists the following conspicuous negative effects.

For one thing, it will inevitably add to the financial burden of the government and the schools. Then how will our government collect funds to support the students? Usually, the government will increase the tax, but it is very likely that the other citizens will feel unfair and discontent. Worse, there may be rebellion upon this. Or the government curtails the funds on other aspects, like the fund on medical care, the fund on removal of environmental pollution, or the funds on stimulating the depressed economy. But, it is obvious imperfect for the government to pay the tuition for the students at the cost of the any lessening other government service funds.

For another, in order to get the financial support, some students and parents, may fake their economical conditions by telling lies to the school. The authorities then have to devote tremendous human and financial resources to check the credulity of materials. What is worse, this progress may cost a lot of time and maybe cause some students to miss the deadline of confirmation of enrollment.

Thirdly, the strategy may not necessarily help the students to cultivate them to be qualified graduates who could effectively contribute to our society. Many students may take it for granted to be supported. And without financial burden, they are less likely to be stimulated by poverty, and many students just forget they have the responsibility of working hard to live up to the requirement and promise the made when they applied for the support. Many such students who get supported by the government get addicted to computer games and fail to get the degree at the end of university life, and for them, the drawbacks overweigh the benefits.

To avoid the flaws, I bring up an improved proposal in which the government and schools do not directly subsidize any student, but provide the poor students with opportunities of doing part-time job in and out of the campus. And they are encouraged to get the scholarships specific for the poor students to cover the tuition through their hard work. As the popular Chinese saying goes, "Give him a fish, you feed him for one day; Show him how to fish, you feed him for life long.", the real responsibility of the government and schools lies in leading the poor students to work hard and support themselves by their own hands. Thus the improved proposal is superior to the suggestion of the speaker.

Submitted by: Max

Rajasekhar
+10

It nice and have best reputation claims of issue.
August,17 2012

TheUrbanWriter
+3

Overall, the essay's pretty good. It could use a little work here and there (such as grammatical errors). I agree with your point to an extent. It is possible to create a good life for yourself without a university degree but the chances of that happening is much less than, say, a university graduate's chances of making something for him/herself. I think it mostly depends on your aptitude for work and your ability to control yourself (e.g. stay away from drugs, don't gamble). But I still wouldn't recommend anyone to drop out of a uni without getting their degree first. People also tend to look down on those who don't have an accredited degree which could hurt your future.
March,27 2013

Worstbrat
+5

"in and out of the campus" Try "on and off campus."
December,29 2012

Jungmin
+2

The "improved proposal" by the author could be appropriate strategy. But university students,during spring or fall semester, have to concentrate with all they are not on the part time work but on the study. So I think that it is better for them to work their part time job only at summer or winter vacation.
October,30 2013

Worstbrat
+5

1. "could not" Why use the simple past tense?
2. "come up" Why use the simple present tense?
3. "from the following aspects" Try "in the following ways."
December,29 2012

Katamor
+1

Other than some common, bland paragraph introductions, this essay provides many possibilities into the world of What Ifs. I find that the subject is most definitely a topic that needs more attention when it comes to the lives of low-income families. There are many children out there with the potential to become geniuses in the world of money and fame. Though Universities aren't always the solution to becoming someone of great importance, the author has a point in bringing attention to those who do want to further their education but live in rough communities or whose parents could not provide them the essentials for their education. Almost all the comments on this writing piece are quite helpful but also opinion based as is mine, overall when looking at the writing style and grammar, this essay could use vast amounts of editing to create the perfect masterpiece.
May,09 2014

Henry2833
+1

Huh? Do you have an introduction or conclusion. I also think your introduction is a bit short and the whole essay, in general, is kind of boring.
May,21 2014

Kylexy32
+1

I would try to avoid using phrases such as "Firstly" and "Secondly" try to make the transitions between paragraphs smoother
January,31 2016

NatashaLa
+1

Very nice and descreptive but not exactly clear.
January,31 2017

Ob1115
+1

To me the essay seems very pretentious as if university is the key to a better life. No, you don't need university, the government, or anyone to give you a better life. It is up to you. To have a better life, all you need are 10 things - health, comfort, knowledge, adventure, excitement, fun, laughter, good company, relaxing, opportunities and achievements. What has university or hard work or any of the things you mentioned got to do with this?
February,20 2013