Formal Education Tends To Restrain Our Minds And Spirits Rather Than Set Them Free

Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The claim put forward is that formal education limits our minds and spirits rather than allowing a broad perspective to develop. I partially agree with this opinion , education allows exploration of different perspectives and opening our minds to different possibilities, yet limits our mind to scientific explanations only.

Formal education inculcates in us the ability to reason and encourages us to question a fast variety of hypothesis and accepted beliefs. Formal education is about questioning and looking a variety of different thoughts. For example in the social sciences different opinions on a particular topic of philosophy are taught,in order to broaden the insight of students; it opens up the students minds on how there is not one answer to one topic.

However, it can be argued that formal education promotes a scientific explanation to everything, thinking that is unscientific is considered untrue. This is in a way restricting our mind to logic only, shutting it out to preternatural or spiritual explanations. For example in science we are taught only about the making of the world through evolution, France even banned antievolution books favouring creationism in schools, the alternate explanation of mans creation through creationism is never taught.

To conclude formal education frees our thinking on some aspects of life , while restricting it on others.

Submitted by: 13100021

SamKap08
+1

Well,this is a common topic of discussion nowadays I like the language you used
January,06 2013

Ob1115
+1

Well that was a short essay. Take a look at Why I hate School But Love Education on youtube
February,20 2013

Jungmin
+1

I didn't know that France banned education on creationism. This author explained well about the issues.
October,30 2013

Vishal Prasad
+1

Good effort noticed however essay is quite shallow and should be well supported.
June,06 2014