Some People Believe That In Order To Be Effective, Political Leaders Must Yield To Public Opinion And Abandon Principle For The Sake Of Compromise. Others Believe That The Most Essential Quality Of An Effective Leader Is The Ability To Remain Consistently

Being a political leader is not an easy task. There are a lot times that your principles and objectives will be put in test. For me an effective leader is the one that knows how to listen to public opinions and knows when to keep and when to bend his objective and principles for the welfare of the majority.

A political leader is elected to serve his people, so he should know how to listen to them, but a leader should know the difference between listening and doing everything and believing every word the people says to him. It is good to listen because in this way he/she will be able to know the things that is happening around him and he will be able use this information to address problems properly. Following or doing everything the people says would create chaos as it like following or serving millions of bosses that is impossible to do. Also, as a political leader he/she should also examine things and not always believe everything his people tells him. He can make use of all this information in making his own judgment and decisions.

Thus, being a political leader, it is essential know when to keep or when to bend your objectives and principles depending on the situation or welfare of the majority. For example, In the Philippines there is a big issue on Reproductive Health Bill (RH Bill). If you believe in the good effect or result of passing the RH Bill will solve the problems of the country like overpopulation which leads to some more serious problems like starvation, lack of education, malnutrition, pollution etc… even if it against the teaching of the catholic church, will you listen to a group of catholic who are not pro RH Bill or you will stick to your belief that the country is over populated and thus passing the RH Bill law will solve the problems? A good leader will examine the pros and cons of passing the said bill and will make his decision based on the benefit of a lot of people and will not just save himself on securing votes for the next election given the treat of the catholic group on not supporting those who are pro RH Bill.

In addition, being a good leader does not mean following everything the people would tell you or being rigid on your objectives and principles, but it is on making the right decision considering the welfare of the majority and that if the situation calls you to change your position on something or bend your beliefs and principles, this can be done as long as the best of interest of the majority is considered.

A good leader is someone who knows how to listen and is not afraid to bend his/her objectives and principles if the situation calls for it and if will benefit the majority of his people.

Submitted by: jennymagbag

About jennymagbag