All Results Of Publicly Funded Scientific Studies Should Be Made Available To The General Public Free Of Charge. Scientific Journals That Charge A Subscription Or Newsstand Price Are Profiting Unfairly. Write An Essay In Wwhich You Take A Postion On The S

Scientific journals are means by which the scientific community can learn about the advancements in various fields. These journals receive funding either by charging the author of the article and hence making the publications open source to the public or by charging a subscription fee. Scientific advancements should be made available to the public free of charge so that all the potential people have access to the on-going developments and advancements in their field of interest and hence be able to make their own contributions. However, making journals available free of charge has its negative points which are stated later; in such a case an initial joining fee for a lifetime of subscription may be better.

Usually researchers work under institutions that fund their research and can pay for publication of their work, reducing the burden of an individual or team of researchers to pay for publication of their work. The institution gets its funding by gaining recognition through the different journals and papers published by it. However, these scientific journals should also consider the background of the research hoping to publish his paper. Concessions should be provided to researchers not affiliated with an institution. The openly available journals provide information at the hands of people without having to subscribe for the journals.

However, by making all journals free for public, the quality of the publications should not be compromised. This can happen if the publishers become short of funds and approve papers so as to receive money from the aspiring journal author. A step towards avoiding such a situation would be to charge a small initial joining fee for a lifetime of subscription. If a member wants to withdraw then some amount of his initial payment should be returned to him. A person may withdraw if he finds the quality of the journals or papers published deteriorating. Hence, a small initial fee will keep the quality of the publications in check.

In conclusion, scientific journals should charge a yearly subscription fee and newsstand pricing as it would lead to their unfair profiting. However, introducing a small joining fee, that will make available to the lifetime subscriber all the journals and papers published and charging authors with published journal a fee seems like a better solution.

Submitted by: qwerty

About qwerty