ISSUE:University Should Require Every Student To Take A Variety Of Courses Outside Of The Student's Field Of Study.

Prompt:University should require every student to take a variety of courses outside of the student's field of study.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Largely I could embrace the view that university should require their students to take varieties of courses out of their field of study, in that the suggestion will cultivate the students to be well-rounded and prepare them for the interdisciplinary scientific research. However, considering some students maybe burdened with too many courses and they may become dilettantes, I suggest a compromise proposal.

On the one hand, courses out of the students' field of study make them well-rounded persons. When taking the music classes where they are taught to appreciate a symphony, the students will acquire the basic skills of appreciating music works, and many of them can be encouraged to release stress by being absorbed in a piece of symphony which is a good way to relax themselves in future stressful work. Similarly, sports classes like football, ping-pong, swimming, could help the students to be familiar with a specific sport, and more profoundly, the students can benefit from this sports all his life, which will keep them healthy and away from disease. Psychology courses can lead the students to know themselves and teach them necessary tips to control their moods. Also, legal knowledge, although not directly related to fields of most students, should be presented to the students to arm them with legal sense and the tips to avoid being involved in illegal commit.

On the other hand, the most frontier scientific researches are usually interdisciplinary, which challenge the traditional discipline division and badly need students with background of different majors. For example, robotics is a pure interdisciplinary field, in which control theory, the machinery engineering knowledge, and biotic knowledge and computer science skills are all necessary. Thus a student who is interested in robotics should prepare themselves with the knowledge of all related disciplines. Also, students in medical science face new challenges. The traditional clinical knowledge is just one part of the modern medical science, and more than often nowadays, the great breakthroughs and new applications depend on the computer science and internet technology. The popular practice of remote surgery and diagnosis is a good example, in which the developers have to very familiar with both computer programming and also the medical concepts and expertise. Thus, medical students who are interest in such high-tech applications are suggested to attend more computer courses.

However, in some cases the requirement is not that sound. For one thing, students may feel already burdened with their major courses, thus they could not devote to more challenging classes. If the school force them to do that, they will get discontent and the rate of failing exams will very likely increases.

Moreover, in order to contribute to the society efficiently, the students should have sufficient mastery of professional knowledge and skills in one field. When a student dabbles in a hodge-podge of academic offerings without fully devotion into any one, he/she is more likely to be a dilettante. Thus, students should not be overextended and should guarantee to be familiar with one field.

To sum up, I support the general benefits of the suggestion, while considering the last two potential drawbacks, a new compromise proposal is brought up with: The school should require the students to attend the major courses compulsorily, yet at the same time, the optical courses of other fields are divided into several classes, for example selective courses of natural science, social etiquettes, music, arts, sports, finance and management, and so forth. The students have to attend at least one, for example in every class. This solution is advantageous in that in the first place, it guarantees that the students could spend enough time in his/her own field to prepare them sufficiently for job hunting and contributing to the society. While at the same time, everyone has to attend at least the required number of courses other fields, to make themselves well-rounded. But it is so flexible that how many selective courses to they should take depends on the students themselves. Those with academic burden or of no interest only need to live up to the bottom requirement, yet those who are more capable or plan to join in the interdisciplinary research projects, could attend any related courses accordingly.

Submitted by: jack

Jack
+1

He I am so sorry sir that the misuse of some words makes the first paragragh so confusing. I should not use "embrace" for i am not sure if it an exact word to match my attidude. And the proposal i bring up with is in fact not a compromised one but an improved one.

So may I replace the poor first paragraph with the following polished one and you continue to read the rest of of passage. You know, I appreciate for your help each time more than I could say.

Generally, the suggestion that every student should be required to take a variety of courses outside of the student's field of study could significantly influence the students' future development. It could cultivate the students to be well-rounded and enable them to be well-prepared for future interdisciplinary scientific research. However, considering that possibility that some students may be burdened by so many courses and negative effect of being exposed to a hodge-podge of academic offerings without sufficient devotion into one subject, I bring up an improved proposal to avoid the flaw.
August,16 2012