The Following Appeared In A Memorandum From The Manager Of WWAC Radio Station

The following appeared in a memorandum from the manager of WWAC radio station.

"To reverse a decline in listener numbers, our owners have decided that WWAC must change from its current rock-music format. The decline has occurred despite population growth in our listening area, but that growth has resulted mainly from people moving here after their retirement. We must make listeners of these new residents. We could switch to a music format tailored to their tastes, but a continuing decline in local sales of recorded music suggests limited interest in music. Instead we should change to a news and talk format, a form of radio that is increasingly popular in our area."

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The author concludes that WWAC radio station should switch to a news and talk format to attract old people who are moving into the area after their retirement. His argument is precarious and needs to be substantiated.

In order to evaluate the argument, evidence on the percentage of each age group in the area based on the population of the area needs to be given.This evidence will be helpful because the author has made the implicit assumption that the aged people form a large part of the population in the area. If young viewers still make the majority of the population in the listening area, the author’s recommendation of changing the format of the show will be flawed.

Another evidence that is required is a poll in the area on the reasons for decline in the local sales of recorded music. The author has assumed that the decline in sales is due to the lack of interest of old people in music. If the evidence suggests that there are other causes for decrease in the sales of recorded music such as an increase in the use of the internet to download music,the author’s recommendation will be greatly weakened.

The final evidence that should be presented by the author is a poll in the local area on the reasons for the decline in listener numbers of WWAC.This will be useful since the authors main assumption is that decrease in listener numbers is due to rock being of no interest to the old viewers in the area. If other reasons such as decrease in the quality of music presented, fall in the popularity of rock music in general are proven through the polls to be reasons for the decrease in the number of viewers, the author’s recommendation can easily be discarded.

To conclude, the evidences given above should be examined by the author to validate his claim

Submitted by: 13100021

About 13100021