ISSUE:thanks Prof.

Prompt:In order to be well-rounded individuals, all college students should be required to take courses in which they read poetry, novels, mythology, and other types of imaginative literature.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

I could basically embrace this suggestion, in that to be well-rounded is a very consequential aspect of one's social ability, and the reading of poetry, novels, mythology, and other types of imaginative literature have many general benefits to the students. However, I contend that reading imaginative literature is not the only way, and even not the best way for students with different goals. Moreover, both the forms and the contents of this activity should be flexibly organised to take into account the various interests and the needs of the students.

To begin with, I would like to illustrate the great significance of being a well-round person. To be well around means one is versatile and knows at least a little bit in every subject. An obvious benefit is that he/she could start a conversation with almost anyone by introducing a common topic, which means he could make friends with more people and could quickly join in a new group to get the opportunities before his peers. Thus it is an important aspect of one's social ability and the schools should prepare the students of this competence.

Second, I basically support the suggestion of reading the poetry, novels, mythology, and other types of imaginative literature, for the following general benefits to the students.

First, the literature will influence the students' values and willpower profoundly. The plot of a novel may be so sad in which the hero suffered a lot and got frustrated many times, but the hero just struggled against the destiny and finally he succeeded. In this sense, the character of the hero will be so impressive and encouraging to the students that they will follow the example of the hero to overcome the difficulties and frustrations in their own life. Also a sentence in a poem may become a motto to direct the students in his lifetime, or a mythology could recall a student who has lost hope of life the best memory of our world and spiritually supports him to be optimistic again.

Secondly, the reading of a literature encourages critical, independent and imaginative thinking. When enjoying the idea of the writer, we inevitably combine that with the reality around us and get inspired to form our own understanding of the world according to the reality, but not passively accept the writer's idea. Besides, it stimulates the imagination. Transforming the abstract words into pictures and situations in our mind is a progress of imaginative recreation itself. This is quite true when the literature describes some strange things or magical scenery of a foreign country we have never been to, because we reconstruct the circumstances purely based on the descriptions and the imagination.

However, when carrying out the suggestion, I hold that there are some tips the school should pay special attention to.

For one thing, reading literature may not be the only, let alone the best way for some students who have their own specific goals. For example, a student who wants to be a politician should spend more time to join in the associations in and out of campus, or to volunteer in communities. A student who wants to be a successful businessman should take more part-time jobs and interning positions. Schools should study the effects of these alternative forms and compare them with literature reading and decide whether or not to bring in other forms.

For another, schools should open a wide range of such literature courses and the students should have the right of choosing to select a class in which the topics and contents are what they are really interested in. After all, students who are interested in mythology may be bored with poem. If they are forced to join in a topic they do not like, they may escape from class or just sleep or playing computer games in class. In both cases, the goal of bringing them spiritual strength and wide range of knowledge will fail to be realized.

All in all, I generally embrace the suggestion. But to make it perfect, the schools are suggested to consider the forms and the contents, and the needs of different kinds of students also.

Submitted by: jack

About jack