Gre Issue 101

Although innovations such as video, computers, and the Internet seem to offer schools improved methods for instructing students, these technologies all too often distract from real learning.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

High-tech innovations have made their ways into school and improved methods for instructing students in varies aspects. Teachers use computers to demonstrate in the classroom, and students can review and preview by themselves with the help of videos and the Internet. The benefits both schools and students receive from the innovations are uncontroversial. And though sometimes it may be that these technologies seem to distract students from the so-called "real leaning", I think as a whole, they just do the opposite, which is helping students with real learning.

I can imagine the reasons why there are some who think that technologies like video and computers too often distract students from real learning, and I guess it mainly because some students are inclined to play with innovations rather than use them on their school learning. Well, to some extent, it is true. There are always students who lack the ability of self-control with the myriad of digital devices and spend their learning time on watching entertained videos, playing computer games, or chatting endlessly on the Internet. However, not every student is addicted to such things, and there is also a majority of students who rely their learning on these innovations. Besides, I consider that one of the most important lessons in one's life is learning how to control oneself in front of temptations, and trying not to be addicted to the technology innovations mentioned here is certainly a good learning and practice of that lesson. Learning to develop such ability should be part of the real learning, and as I have already said, technology innovations can help students to learn it.

Furthermore, as far as I am concerned, real learning is far more than learning the knowledge that is written in books, instead, real learning is learning from everything. Technology innovations can provide students with a lot of information that students cannot get from the text books or from their teachers. Some opponents may say that students lack the ability to choose valuable things that are worth learning and to despite invaluable things. That is indeed the fact sometimes, and if students cannot decide what should be learned and what should be despised among the so much information they got from the outside world through the innovations, then they might be ruined. It is quite dangerous sometimes, but students must learn to recognize what is good and what is bad, to discern the rights and wrongs, and so to prevent themselves from getting into the wrong way and embrace the valuable knowledge. This ability is also important for students to learn, although might with the help of teachers or parents. It is true that if they do not get it right, they will likely be distracted from real learning, but once they gain the ability, they will sure to benefit a lot.

In conclusion, whether technology innovations distract students from real learning depends on students themselves, and more often, using them can help students to learn knowledge and foster some very important abilities at the same time. So, I think these innovations do more good than harm to students' learning.

Submitted by: Michael

About Michael