ISSUE:(i Want To Make Progress! Thanks Prof. Best.)

Prompt: Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

Generally, it is quite significant for the students to study at least one semester in a foreign country. And such exchange programs will bring benefits to our society, and a school's education strageties too. However, for many reasons, I do not think making it a mandatory requirement for every student is a sound idea.

On the one hand, encouraging the students to attend the international exchange programs will bring benefits to our society, the education strategies of the schools, and the students' future development.

For one thing, the young students who study and live in a foreign country will bring new cultural elements to his/her original culture environment. Globalization requires our nations to absorb foreign culture elements, and the young students, who are more likely to be affected by the different cultural styles, will play a vital role in this progress. This is fully proved by the brought in of the fast-food chains from western countries to China. The young generation who ever studied in America, were used to eating the fast food like McDonald and KFC, got inspired to implant western food into Chinese traditions.

For another, the schools could benefits a lot through the students' understanding of the difference between the foreign teaching methods, education styles and those of their own. For example, in China, teachers like to ingest the students with huge amount of knowledge without encouraging them to discuss, yet those who studied in America for a year, find the traditional teaching style has many disadvantages like it students to be followers but not independent thinkers. And then they advised the school to perform reforms and more discussion and independent thinking sections could be added to make up for the disadvantages. The school thus gets benefits from policy.

Thirdly, the students themselves are directly influenced in this progress. They will enrich experience, widen the horizon, and make a lot of friends. The experience also prepares them to be more international. More profoundly, the experience will help them to find more opportunities in the commercial cooperation between two countries. I have a friend from Spain, who benefits a lot in such experience. He studied Energy Engineer in college, and attended the exchange program with China during school. When he was in China, he noticed that the Foreign Trade Administration badly needed personnel who majors in Energy Engineer, and could speak both Spanish and Chinese, for they wanted to co-build many solar power plants in china using the technology of Spain. My friends then got this opportunity and earned a high salary.

However, for the following considerations, I do not support the suggestion that it should be mandatory for every student.

On the one hand, to pay for the tuition, tickets living expenses in a foreign country will cost the students and their parents a huge amount of money, which will add the financial burden to the family. Some may suggest the school should pay the cost, but I do not think it practical, because there are so many students in one school, and total cost will be a quite huge amount. Even the schools agree to pay that, it will charge students higher tuitions fees, thus the fees of studying abroad comes from the students in fact.

On the other hand, the school should respect if the students are willing to do that. Many students feel there is no need going abroad and they just want to study the common engineer and find a job in local areas. Many other have no interest in such programs, thus when forced to leave, they may feel mentally stressed and discontented and may spend most time chatting on the Internet with the friends at home. In this case, the goal of bringing benefits and competence to the students will fail to be realized. After all, college students are already adults and could make choice independently thus it is unreasonable for the school to force them to do anything.

Last but not least, more factors like language obstacle, safety, curriculum difference should also be considered before the schools and the students decide whether it is a wise choice to study abroad.

In conclusion, it is quite beneficial for the students to stay at least semester in a foreign country. However, for many reasons like financial burden, language, interests of the students, I do not think it a wise decision to make it a mandatory requirement for every student.

Submitted by: jack

Jack
+1

I Want To Make Progress! And soon i will not be flagged for language errors!thanks prof. i am sorry i do not know your name. but you are a quite nice professor.
August,14 2012