GRE Issue44:Claim: It Is No Longer Possible For A Society To Regard Any Living Man Or Woman As A Hero. Reason: The Reputation Of Anyone Who Is Subjected To Media Scrutiny Will Eventually Be Diminished.

According to the statement, it is impossible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero. The main reason is that the reputation of anyone who is subjected to media scrutiny will eventually be diminished. This may hold true in some cases; however, I strongly disagree with the statement because the author oversimplifies the issues.

Firstly, people easily forget what they see via media. Mass media offers too much information for us every day. So it is possible that a hero will be replaced by another hero or subjects. That is why there is no longer possible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero. While this is a tempting assumption, it is by no means a certainty. A true hero will never be forgotten by the people he or she helped. Take my hero, Mr.Chen, as an example. Mr.Chen is a brave firefighter. He saved my life when I was an elementary student. He rescued me from the scene of fire that I will never want to go back again. He will always be my hero no matter the media gives him credits or not. Hence, I believe that society still regard living man or woman as a hero without mass media.

Secondly, society can still trace back somebody's brave behavior without mass media. A true hero is not decided by media or coverage, he or she is decided by the people he or she helped with in the past. I can't think a better illustration than an example of my professor, Mr.Huang. Mr.Huang was a brave soldier when he was young. He protected our country from being invaded by the evil troops. He saved people's assets and dignities, giving people a hand to fight back. In the end, we won the battle and reconstructed the whole country. He is our hero. We don't need news coverage to honor him. Thus, true heroes still exist in our society.

Finally, perhaps the most importantly, the so called "hero" who used to appear on TV or be in front of mass media is probably not the hero that society will regard him or her as a great person. So many people in today's society use media as their tools to attract people's attention and benefit themselves. It is obvious that once you would be renowned as a "hero," you can have people's respect and all the money and benefits. More and more people make use of mass media's traits to call themselves "hero." They are not true heroes but a bunch of liars who want to deceive people instead of really rescue them from dangerous situation. Therefore, society can still recognize any living man or woman as a hero without media's help.

In summary, based on the expositions and illustrations above, it may be safe to reach the conclusion that we still regard a living man or woman as a hero whether the reputation of him or her is diminished by media scrutiny or not. In fact, true hero will never be forgotten in people's hearts.

Submitted by: Serena

About Serena