GRE ISSUE: Thank You, Professor.

ISSUE: Government officials should rely on their own judgment rather than unquestioningly carry out the will of the people they serve.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

In order to better discuss the statement, I would like to define here an effective government leader as someone who could bring the welfare to his people. And I contend that the judgment of a qualified leader should be based on the will of people, but not unquestioningly carry out that.

An effective leader should be open to the people and always ready to listen to their complaint and suggestions. There are mainly two compelling reasons for this.

For one thing, the complaints of the public are more than often a good indication of some social problems and the signal of newly-emerged contradictions. The government should take these complaints seriously and look into them to locate the true cause, and then solve the problems sincerely for the people. Otherwise, people will become discontent with the leader and his group. What is worse, with no response or efficacious solution, the situation may become worse and worse and end up with violence or turbulent riots. For example, when the employment rate increases, the laid-off workers will continuously complain and require the government to create new positions, but if the government keeps silent about that, the probability of violence and conflicts will increase because the laid-off workers would take extreme actions when they got desperate. Thus, the government should always respond the complaints of people positively.

For another, the government leader should also be open to the suggestions of the citizens when making a new policy. This is because the policies are usually closely related to the vital interests of the public, thus they want to participate in this progress and in most cases their advices are essential to make sure the policies are reasonable and go without being against the interest of people. For example, the government wants to build a new subway and is discussing the route. A investigation including all the citizens is consequential to inquire people of what they want the route to be and where they desire the station. Only in this way, could the government optimize the route and locations of stops to maximize the convenience to people.

However, the public tend to be shortsighted and consider merely their own interests and needs, while ignoring the whole welfare and long term influence on the development of the nation. Thus, the leaders should never unquestioningly carry out the will of the public. They should comprehensively take into account all related factors and balance the short term with long-run values and then leap an optimized solution. This should be quite essential to guarantee that the leader made no hasty and foolish decisions. Take the example of State Secretary Seward and the buying of Alaska Island from Russia. Seward did not follow the shortsighted denial from the country and insisted that the island will be of great use and he did not comprise even being ridiculed as the "Seward's Fool", and it is just his wise judgment that brings America a rich island with "never exhausted" mines and oil. Also, the prosperity of Chinese economy should be attributed to the promotion of "Reform and Opening Up" by great leader Deng Xiaoping in 1977, when most people were so conservative that they were strongly against the reform of the existed marketing and productivity system. All in all, a wise and visionary balance between people's will and the long-run influence on the development of the nation is substantial to an effective leader.

Last but not least, the balance of people's will and the judgment of the leader himself is just one aspect to determine whether a leader could be effective. Apart from this, an effective leader should also own the following qualities: Professional knowledge, vision, integrity, interpersonal skills, honesty, charisma and so forth.

In conclusion, people's will is of great importance and should never be ignored, but the judgment of the leader is also essential to determine the long-term development of a country. When they are in contradiction, the leader should balance and make wise choice.

Submitted by: zhangyang

About zhangyang