Claim: Governments Must Ensure That Their Major Cities Receive The Financial Support They Need In Order To Thrive. Reason: It Is Primarily In Cities That A Nation's Cultural Traditions Are Preserved And Generated

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

Major cities usually holds a dense population with a diverse tradition and costumes. Since majors cities are the places where people with different backgrounds blend together, they generate new cultural traditions as well as preserve old traditions. Further, major cities usually cannot make enough money to cover their own expenses. Therefore, I agree with the statement that governments must ensure that major cities receive the financial support they need to thrive because they are the places where a nation’s cultural traditions are preserved and generated.

To begin with, major cities preserve cultural traditions by building large museums and open to public. Large museums collect a plethora of exhibits that represent the cultural traditions and help educate tourists. For instance, National history museum collects many exhibits, which introduce some historic aspects of the country and other parts of the world as well. Tourists can get a brief understanding about some historic events and cultural traditions by visiting the museum. However, it costs a lot of money to maintain the museum, hire people to work for the museum, and museums usually needs financial support to operate. Therefore, it is very important to ensure that major cities receive financial support they need to thrive.

Major cities are not only places where cultural traditions are preserved; they are also places where cultural traditions are generated. Major cities usually have larger population, because major cities create more job opportunities and people from other cities usually come to work and visit. Thus, major cities usually contains a diverse population, and new cultural traditions are usually generated in order to bear people from different backgrounds. For instance, New York City usually generates some modern cultural traditions, which will soon be spread to other places. Since major cities have larger populations, both residents and visitors, the maintenance costs, traffic construction costs and infrastructure costs will be a lot more than the need of small cities. Therefore, financial support from governments is indispensible for major cities to thrive, because it cannot support itself.

However, many small towns also play roles in generating and preserving cultural traditions. Some historic towns also deserve financial supports because it also needs money to maintain the historic cites. They may attract many visitors, which may increase the demand for other facilities, too. Thus, governments should also ensure that these small towns receive financial supports.

Overall, I think it is very important for major cities to receive financial supports in order to thrive because they are places where cultural traditions are generated and preserved. In addition, some small historic towns also should receive financial supports to cover their maintenance costs and other needs.