People Who Make Decisions Based On Emotion And Justify Those Decisions With Logic Afterwards Are Poor Decision Makers.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The claim made is that people who make decisions based on emotions and justify them afterwards with logic are poor decision makers.I strongly agree with this claim, in my view the quality of a good decision maker is that he makes his decisions without emotions getting in the way.

Key decision makers in politics and finance make all there decisions based on rational reasoning: there is no role of emotions in their decision making.For example in the current economic recession,many companies are now being forced to cut jobs; a harsh decision for the CEO of a company to make.However,being an efficent decision maker, the CEO has to cut jobs if the company is incurring a loss without thinking of how job cuts will result in the unemployment of many workers.Logically, only a poor decision maker will base his decision on emotion in such a situation.

Looking at extreme situations,many people make the decision to conduct horrendous crimes, simply on the basis of the emotions first,logic later approach to decision making.For example, some people in countries in the east commit honour killings in a fit of emotion grieved by the 'supposed' disgrace a family member has brought upon them.Indeed the murder of a young Pakistani girl in the early nineties, whose parents killed her for adopting a western lifestyle is a classic example of a decision based on emotions alone.

Many opponents of the claim defend their position

by asserting that emotions are part of our innate nature and will always play a part in the decision making process.The counter argument that can be given is that emotions might inevitably play a role in the decisions we make, but to claim that emotions are the only source of making decisions is an extreme statement. Even Shakespearean plays such as Othello warn of the consequences of making decisions based on emotions alone.

To conclude,logic should be used primarily in making key decisions.Good decision makers think before making a decision rather than basing decisions on emotions.
Submitted by: 13100021

About 13100021