ISSUE: Critical Judgment Of Work In Any Given Field Has Little Value Unless It Comes From Someone Who Is An Expert In That Field.

ISSUE:Critical judgment of work in any given field has little value unless it comes from someone who is an expert in that field.

In my perspective, whether the critical judgment has any value depends on which field it belongs to, and to what extent the judgment in that field depends on the professional knowledge, and also to what extent is the work is related to people' interest. Thus, a rigorous assessment of this issue should be based on a case-by-case analysis. I will analyze the value of the none-professional judgment in fields of science and economy, social and politics, education, and art respectively.

Firstly, in fields of science and economy, works are usually from the professionals with expertise, which would make little sense to the "laymen". The professionals may have spent more than 5 years on one project discovering a phenomenon. Thus the value of experts’ judgments in the same fields overweighs those of none-professionals. For example, people who is responsible for the adjustment of the bank deposit rate of a nation must have stayed in this field for a long time to study the basic economical and financial knowledge, and have worked for several years in the central bank before they could master the relationship between the fluctuation of the price and the deposit rate. In this case, anyone who wants to assess the reasonability of the adjustment should have similar level of expertise, otherwise he will inevitably ignore many essential factors and the judgment turns out to be unreasonable. Similarly, the discovery of a physicist may not be effectively judged by a layman of physics.

However, in other fields where a work or policy is not that professional and is highly related to the interest of its people, judgment from ordinary could be of value of reference. And this is true in realms of social and politics, education and art.

For one thing, the judgment from the public plays an essential role in political and social fields. This is because the policies of our government aiming to enhance the welfare of the most people, could influence the daily life of every citizen, and the suggestions and feedbacks from the citizens could policies from being against the wills and interest of people. For example, the government wants to build a new subway, and a route is suggested by the experts, yet this should be open to discussion, because the experts, however professional, could not take into account all the factors, especially the needs of the people in different regions. On the other hand, when ignoring the judgment from the ordinary people, there is a possibility that the government or other social organization promote some policy that is against the will of its people and will result in rebellion and turbulence.

For another, in realm of education, the judgments from the students are equally important as those from the educational experts. Educational experts tend to assess a policy in terms of its long-run influence on the national education system and the potential benefits to the students' abilities. Yet the students are more realistic, and they care most about the influence on their campus life and job hunting prosperity. The school should not listen to the judgment of only one side, but balance the voices of both sides to determine whether a policy should be promoted. For example, a school plans to run a course "Poem Appreciation" and the students should compulsorily attend it. The experts may respond to it quite positively in that it will make contributions to the inheritage of diminishing traditional culture and is beneficial to the imagination of the students. Yet if the school follows the experts' judgment and promotes this policy, it maybe strongly rejected by the students who issues that they are already burdened with the major courses and it the poem appreciation is of no help with the job hunting, or it is against their interest, or so.

In the art field, it is similar to the education realm. When experts judge an artistic work, they tend to pay more attention to the aesthetic values and its creativity. But this is not a good indication of the market effect of this work when promoted to the public. In fact, many creative paintings and innovative movies got highly praised by the experts, but just made no sense to the audience, thus the investors gained nothing from it.

In short, in fields of professional science and economy, expert judgment overweighs the none-professional ones. Yet as for political and social issues, educational policies and artistic assessment, the judgments from the none-professionals are valuable and should not be neglected.
Submitted by: jack

Dragonheel
+1

It seems that some reasons and/or examples are not refered to challenge your response.
September,03 2014