Governments Should Focus On Solving The Immediate Problems Of Today Rather Than On Trying To Solve The Anticipated Problems Of The Future.

Prompt:

Governments should focus on solving the immediate problems of today rather than on trying to solve the anticipated problems of the future.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

Should government focus on solving the immediate problems or trying to solve the anticipated problems in the future? In my opinion, if an immediate problem is directly threatening people’s lives and national security, it needs to be resolved in no time. Otherwise, a government needs to take into consideration not only immediate problems but also anticipated problems at the same time and tries to find an integral solution for problems in both categories.

At first, if a government faces an immediate problem which threaten directly people’s lives as well as national security, it need to focus all its energy and time on solving those problems. Without solving those problems rapidly, there will be no room to solve other potential problems. Just imagine if a government faces a wide-spread famine, the most important task for a government is to find enough food for all its social members. The government might encourage people to use certain insecticides which could dramatically increase the food production, even though the use of such chemical products in the future might engender certain environmental problems. The solutions of those anticipated environmental problems have to wait until everyone gets enough food. In 2002, when China faced the rampant spread of SARS, a deadly contagious disease, in order to cut, to maximal extent, the spread of disease, the Chinese government ordered closures of all schools, most cinemas, theaters, restaurants and bars, as well as demanded all citizens to stay at home as much as possible. Although those measures caused an anticipated economy slowdown, there was no other choice for the government. In both cases, a government has to focus on solving the immediate problems since without resolutions of those immediate problems; the whole system will be unstable.

However, the discussion above does not mean that any anticipated problems have to wait until the current problems have been resolved. In fact, in most cases, a government should combine needs to resolve the current issue and the anticipated problems in order to propose an integral solution. There are two major reasons.

First, many critics have absolutely reason to point out that some anticipated problems could be resolved at relatively low costs now. If resolutions of those problems are delayed, the cost of their resolution might soar to an unacceptable level. For example, if the government could work out an integral solution which not only takes into account the current need of economic development but also the necessity of environmental protections, the current cost of environmental regulation could still be limited in a manageable scope. If a government is reluctant to take measures now to deal with environmental issues, it will cost much more to solve those problems in the future. Since economy development is an issue which can never be fully resolved, it sounds wise to try to solve the anticipated environmental problem now before its cost become too monstrous.

Second, some anticipated problems cannot be solved in short time. If a government wait until the problem arrives, it might find that there will be no immediate available solutions. Therefore, if a government does not face some major issues which risk of toppling the whole system, it need also integrate consideration on those anticipated problems into solutions to immediate problems. For example, Chinese government notices that due to insistence on the one-child policy, the Chinese society’s demographic structure might change drastically in not far future. There will be much more old people than young labors. If Chinese government waits until the outburst of this anticipated problem to build its welfare system for those old people, it will find that there will be no effective solution at that time. Currently Chinese government also faces a problem in trading which generate too much surplus which might lead to over investments. It sounds wise that government combines solutions of both problems and takes advantage of extra-money generated in the trade surplus to build a welfare system for those potential old citizens.

To sum up, in certain special circumstances such as wars, or plagues, which seriously threaten the lives and welfares of people, government need to focus on those immediate issues. Except those special cases, a government should neither focus only on immediate issues nor totally abandon those issues. The correct way is to combine the needs of both current issues and anticipated problems to find an integral solution.

Submitted by: qcao

Qcao
+1

Sorry, I don't know that I should only submit one essay every day. You can flag this essay if you will. Then I send it one per day.

Thx a lot for your help. Your advice is very helpful and inspiring
August,16 2012