ESSAYJUDGE


Free Essay Reviews

EssayJudge.com is a free education resource for students who want help writing college essays.

SIGN UP to post your essay and get expert feedback from a professor.



Recent Essays

February 17

December 10

August 16

August 16

August 16

August 16

August 16

August 16

August 16

August 16
Post your essay. Get expert feedback. For free.
We're trying to help students improve their writing the hard way. Do you know students who want critical essay reviews from a professor of English Literature? Click like to share. Click here to sign up and post your own essay. We offer no paid services. All reviews are completely free.
The Following Memorandum Is From The Business Manager Of Happy Pancake House Restaurants.



The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants.

"Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little impact on our customers. In fact, only about 2 percent of customers have complained, indicating that an average of 98 people out of 100 are happy with the change. Furthermore, many servers have reported that a number of customers who ask for butter do not complain when they are given margarine instead. Clearly, either these customers do not distinguish butter from margarine or they use the term 'butter' to refer to either butter or margarine."

Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.



The business manager concludes that since only 2 percent of people complained about butter being replaced by margarine in pancake house, the rest of the 98 percent were happy with the change. He also mentioned that since many of the customers served did not complain about being served with margarine instead of butter, they either could not distinguish between the two or used butter to refer to either butter or margarine. However, there can be other explanation to account for the lack of complaints.



One possible explanation is that the customers may not be bothered about being served with margarine instead of butter. They may know the difference between the two and have expected butter, but on being given margarine, they might have been indifferent to being served with margarine instead of butter.

Also the author has assumed that since only two percent of people complained about the change from butter to margarine, the rest of the 98 percent were happy with the change. Furthermore many customers did not complain about being served with margarine instead of butter. This might have been because the procedure of complaining may be long and tedious, it might involve filling of a form or writing to the business manager, a process common in complaining in restaurants that are part of a big chain.

Another possible explanation for the small number of complaints could be that most of the Pancake restaurants might not be in the south western United states. If most of the customers of happy pancake restaurants are not from the south western united states, then although there might have been many complaints from restaurants in South western united states, as a percentage of the total customers from across the united states an insignificant percentage (2 %) of complaints were made.

To conclude, the author should have given counterarguments to the explanation given above in order to make his explanations more persuasive.


Submitted by: 13100021
Tagged...



There are no comments for this essay.

Log In to post a comment.
















About 13100021