Educational Institutions Should Actively Encourage Their Students To Choose Fields Of Study That Will Prepare Them For Lucrative Careers. - With A Free Essay Review

“Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.”

The claim given is that educational institutions should encourage their students to choose fields that will lead towards lucrative careers. I strongly disagree with this claim; in my opinion educational institutes should persuade their students to pursue fields of study based on their interest and talent in them. Ultimately, lucrative careers can be made from pursuing any field; provided the students exhibit talent in that field.

Engineering, law and medicine are fields of study that are considered lucrative, yet this does not mean educational institutions should encourage students, who have no interest in these subjects to pursue careers in them. A person who likes English literature, philosophy or sociology should be encouraged to study these fields. After all, a person’s self-satisfaction is very important and a person can make a lucrative career out of these fields as well provided they do well in these fields .

Proponents of this claim argue that educational institutions should encourage their students to select those fields of study that give a lucrative career so that the students have a secure future. However, if someone does not have the interest and flair for a profession they will not be able to do well in the studies leading up to that career. Hence, they will not be successful and unable to make a lucrative career out of what they have studied. In my view there is no field of study that if pursued as a career will not allow a person to become financially sound: the probability of making a large sum of money in some careers is greater than in others, but it does not imply that the ability to make lucrative careers in fields which are not considered financially very promising will be zero.

Moreover, self satisfaction and love for a subject are essential for doing well in a course in university, and in pursuing a career in that subject.

To conclude, education institutions should encourage students to choose fields on the basis of their talent in them rather than considering the lucrativeness of a career in a field.

____________________________

Essay review

I don't think your approach here at the outset is conducive to addressing the prompt. If it is the case that persons with the right motivation and talent can "make a lucrative career out of these fields [English, Philosophy etc], then such persuading such persons to pursue those fields of study instead of pursuing Law or Medicine would in fact amount to persuading them to pursuing fields of study that at least potentially lead towards lucrative careers. So your argument seems tangential to the main point.

Your next argument skirts the issue in a similar way, by suggesting that if educational institutions encourage students to choose fields that will lead towards lucrative carreers, then they may in fact be encourage students to choose fields that will not lead towards lucrative careers. My way of putting it is obviously intended to be a bit provocative, but I hope you see my point. You should assume that when an educational institution encourages a student to choose a field that will lead towards lucrative careers, then the student who takes the advice will be on a path towards a lucrative career. And assuming that, you should then ask whether its a good idea for an educational institution to do that.

Finally, when faced with a prompt that asks you to consider the most compelling reasons/or examples that might be used against your position, you really should try to come up with the most compelling argument that you can for the opposing view. It is not enough to say “proponents of this claim argue that educational institutions should encourage their students to select those fields of study that give a lucrative career so that the students have a secure future.” That, after all, is not a very compelling or elaborate argument; its slightly better than the argument “students should follow a lucrative career so that they will make lots of money,” but it’s not much better than that. Can you develop that argument, or think of other reasons why one might be inclined to think the original argument is sound.

Submitted by: 13100021

Sanaa
+1

Hello, tell me plz is it an essay for IELTS?
August,12 2012