Reverse GRE Argument 32 - Flagged

A32.The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing.

"During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the near by Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than ours, Experts say that significant contributing factors in many on-the-job accidents are fatigue and sleep deprivation among workers. Therefore, to reduce the number of on-the-job accidents at Quiot and thereby increase productivity, we should shorten each of our three work shifts by one hour so that employees will get adequate amounts of sleep"

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the arguments. Be sure

It might seem logical, at first glance, to agree with the argument in shortening work shifts to ensure energetic of its stuff so that there will be less on-the-job accidents. Close scrutiny of each piece of evidence, however, reveals that none of this evidence can lead to the assumption that the new strategy should be successful.

To begin with, the author simply assumes that the chief cause of accidents is merely the sleepless caused by long shifts, however the evidence cited in analysis fails to prove that it is the case. It is informed that Panoply Industries plant has shorter shits than it is in Quiot Manufacturing, but the author does not make clear other factors that affect the probability of on-the-job accidents. Perhaps, the better hardware facilities have large influence on accident rate, and the majority of accidents due to some unskilled instructing machines. In addition, it is also assumed too hastily that shorter shifts will lead more sleep, perhaps worker would choose to spend the plenty of spare time to do other things such as exercises, shopping and entertainment rather than get rests. Given no further explanation, the author simply cannot prove the statement that higher mischance rate is because of longer shits.

Secondly, the argument's conclusion that in order to improve the productivity of Quio Manufacturing the shifts should be shortened for workers to get enough rests is an unwarranted assumption. Productivity are affected by factors of not only punctilious operation but also intelligentized and fail-safe system for machines. It is entirely possible that within higher automatic machines careless workers make no errors. Besides, a myriad of other possible occurrences, such as given more training for workers, might prevent the mishaps from unskilled workers.

In addition, the arguer commits a false comparison for the reason that there is no evidence which can show that Quiot Manufacturing and Panoply Industries plant is comparable at every aspect. The result of the comparison could turn out that there are more accidental events in IP plant than MQ. For that matter, perhaps the population of IP plant is larger than MQ. Therefore, without showing that Quiot Manufacturing and Panoply Industries plant are really comparable at most or even all of their each aspects, the arguer’s comparison is meaningless.

In sum, the author's evidence is not sufficient and the reasoning is not strong enough to support the conclusion. It would be necessary for the author to rule out other possible factors that could also lead to the on-the-job accidents, and to conduct more convincing researches to make the conclusion logically sound.

___________________

Flag Note

This essay has been flagged for deletion because its primary issue is the large number of language errors. Unfortunately, we cannot address that issue here. While several errors in the essay could likely be eliminated by careful proofreading, many are also errors of usage or grammatical errors. If you wish to undertake a review of English grammar, you may find Purdue University's writing site helpful.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/
Submitted by: ondine

About ondine