GRE ISSUE. Flagged

ISSUE: Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

I could agree with the assertion in that the educational institutions play a vital role in the building of their students, and in fact the words of the teachers are more important than anyone else to the students. Suggestions from the teachers could influence the students' choice and their development to a large extent thus the institutions have the responsibility to help the students to choose a field of study that could bring them success. However, as i observes, many teachers judge whether a students could succeed in certain field from mainly two respects: 1) The popular or unpopular professionals; 2) The student’s current grades in the subjects of that field. Yet, i contend that a student's future development is not necessarily determined by these two factors, and other factors like the interest, diligence, creativity could equally help them succeed. Thus I suggest that it is the responsibility of the educational institutions to offer the students full and real information and the honest and objective evaluations of the field and the situation of the students, but the final say should be left to the students and parents.

On the one hand, educational institutions play an indispensable role in the career building of the pstudents. There are several reasons for this: Firstly, the students and parents usually lacks the information about the current situations of different professionals, not even what subjects will they students learn when choosing this field. So it is very common that many students feel depressed when going to college and find the major he/she chooses is not of his/her interest, or it is too difficult to follow the teachers. Secondly, the teachers, who are usually the graduate of famous universities, should basically know what is the research direction of most majors, and they also have the detailed data of former students, including who has stepped into a field, failed or succeeded, what is the salary, where does he works, and so forth. This information is good and necessary reference for the students for choosing a proper field.

However, on the other hand, the considerations of the teachers could not always determine the success or failure of the students in the near future. There are two main compelling reasons for this.

Firstly, the teachers tend to pay more attention to the popular professionals in which the graduates could find a job easily and gain high salary, but less to the unpopular professions. However, the students' interest also plays an essential role in determining his success in any field. Like, some students have strong interests in the unpopular professionals, like geography, history, philosophy, and archeology. But he feels headache in the popular science and technological majors like electronic engineering or computer science. Then the teacher should not force him to give up his interest for this kind of students have clear interest which is more important that the professional itself.

Secondly, the teachers tend to judge the students' development by their current grades. I do think this is unnecessary, for the students' ability of taking exams is not equal to their potential in any field.

Last but not least, there is a obvious disadvantage when the teacher over-dissuade the students to stop pursuing the unpopular professionals and alter to the popular ones. On the one hand, the popular ones could become unpopular in four years. On the other hand, when most students choose the popular ones, the competitions in these fields will unavoidably become very fierce.

In short, it is the responsibility of the educational institutions to offer the students full and real information and the honest and objective evaluations of the field and the situation of the students, but the final say should be left to the students and parents. Anyway, the students' interest matter a lot too. And after all, the future of the students is unpredictable to some extent.

__________________________

Flag Note

This essay has been flagged for deletion because of the large number of language errors. I am sorry to say that we do not offer the kind of service that your writing needs. Your writing displays a variety of errors (subject-verb agreement, number, run-ons, verb form, punctuation, articles, usage generally) so you need to work on mastering English grammar.
Submitted by: zhangyang

Zhangyang
+1

Sorry EJ, i know in the first two essays i caused you a lot of troubles to check my lauguage errors. and unfortunately, after i handed in this essay. i found new mistakes, although i read it more than 3 times.

However, as i observes, many teachers judge whether a students could succeed in certain field from mainly two respects: 1) observe-->observe; and should i use the prep from? from mainly two respects?

1)who are usually the graduate of famous universities
graduate -->graduates

3)Firstly, the students and parents usually lacks the information about the current situations of different professionals, not even what subjects will they students learn when choosing this field.

lacks-->lack

So it is very common that many students feel depressed when going to college and find the major he/she chooses is not of his/her interest, or it is too difficult to follow the teachers.

when-->after

5)should basically know what is the research direction of most majors
is -->are, direction-->directions

6)This information is good and necessary reference for the students for choosing a proper field. for-->when

7)science and technological majors -->science and engineering majors

8)Then the teacher should not force him to give up his interest for this kind of students have clear interest which is more important that the professional itself.

then it is unreasonable for the teacher to force him to give up his interest, because he has clear interest and intent and this is more important than the popularity of the major itself.

9)there is a obvious disadvantage when the teacher over-dissuade the students to stop pursuing the unpopular professionals and alter to the popular ones.

a-->an

thank you EJ, you are a very patient teacher. in the last two essays, you suggested me to spend significant time to improve my grammer and language. I think this suggestion very helpful and necessary. thanks very much. But you know, i know i made a lot of language errors but i am just not aware where the errors are. i mean i do not know what the typical problems are. you know i am used to my own essays so i can not figure out. So could you please spend several minutes to help me point out several typical language problems in this essay? i know it is very boring, but i think your help is priceless for me, it guides me to realize where my problems lie in. and i am a fast learner, i will avoid similar problems in future essays. thanks EJ, for your generous help.enjoy the weekend

August,11 2012