Competition For High Grades - Flagged

Competition for high grades seriously limits the quality of learning at all levels of education.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The statement pursuit of high grades restricts the quality of education partially reflects the truth of the situation. Surely, there are so many students attending school that in order to be outstanding, students have to try hard to get high grades. Also, to be admitted to an excellent university, they are required to gain the high grades, whereas a high grades in school does not always mean everything. Though some students have a high grades in schools, and be respected and admired by other students, they know little about how to put knowledge that they have learnt in classes into practice. Those who get high grades in school are not always successful in their career.

Why this competition for high grades does not benefit students in their career? Students' skills are not comprehensively developed in their education. Although students could learn knowledge quickly during the process, they could forget them as quickly as they learn. What they want to do is just to get grades as high as possible, and thus, they rarely think of how to put knowledge into practice. Therefore, they lack the ability of utilizing their knowledge. Also, they only care about the disciplines that they learn in their classes and ignore other subjects that have nothing to with their grades. This "irrelevant" knowledge would benefit students. For instance, a novel tells you how to critically think about things happen in society. It is society where most students would be likely to work. In the process of pursuit of high grades, students are not likely to tackle with difficulties in their social life because books could not tell students how to settle problems that they confront their in social life.

Additionally, the competition for high grades overlooks the necessity to foster the students' initiative. While students could learn skills in art such as novel, drawing and handwriting, they make little effort to create something new. Most of their work is just a copy of others' work, and they make little contribution to the art describe above. However, in our social life, we are not expected to copy from other's work, but motivated to improve something have disadvantages, invent new technologies, and make new discoveries. For example, computer at early stage is huge and run slowly and difficult to handle. Nevertheless, now, computer are becoming small enough to carry, run faster and faster, and more and more user friendly. How those changes occurred? Engineers have made many efforts to improve it all along. The technology of test-tube baby helps those adults who are unable to conceive a child naturally. This technology has never been invented until last century when Robert Edwards developed it. Robert did not copy anyone, but advanced it with his initiative.

Last but not least, the pursuit of high grades impairs the students' spirit of exploring knowledge on their own. Though students could learn knowledge easily and systematically from their teachers in the specific fields, they would not get the invaluable treasures-spirit of searching for knowledge on their own. In the process of get high grades, students pay much attention to get answers or knowledge as quickly as possible from their teachers but less to explore new knowledge. When we solve problems in social life, we never have teachers telling us how to deal with them. Just as we can only get our answers after we carried out experiments in scientific researches, we could only obtain it after we settle the problems in our life.

Education provides students many benefits, and students not only get high grades in students' disciplines to be outstanding but prepare for their social life in future through education. Although they get knowledge quickly in the process of pursuit of high grades, they are deprived of other rewards education can offer. Competition for high grades prevent them from cultivating initiative, skills to solve problems, and spirit of exploring knowledge on their own. All of these are essential for their social life in future.

____________________________

Flag note

This essay has been flagged for deletion because its primary issue is the large number of language errors. We cannot address that issue here. If you wish to undertake a review of English grammar and mechanics, you may find Purdue University's writing site helpful.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/
Submitted by: alan

About alan