Arguement Analysis Essay - Flagged

"A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of families in Bay City are two-income families, and a nationwide study has shown that such families eat significantly fewer home-cooked meals than they did a decade ago but at the same time express more concern about healthful eating. Therefore, the new Captain Seafood restaurant that specializes in seafood should be quite popular and profitable.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be addressed in order to decide whether the conclusion and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to the questions would help to evaluate the conclusion."

In this argument, author ensures the success and popularity of a new sea food restaurant Captain Seafood in Bay City. He puts some evidences to endorse his statement. At first glance, his evidences look quite cogent but meticulous analysis leads to something else. It is indispensable to have some more evidences or data to ensure the success of Captain Seafood restaurant. I would like to put some shortfall points as follows:

1) "There is an increase of 30% in sea food consumption of Bay City restaurant over past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose speciality is sea food."

An increment of 30% over the past 5 years do not seem to be huge increament. Moreover there is no information about the inception of the Bay City restaurant. There is a possibility that Bay City restaurant had been started 5 years ago and there was very less consumption of seafood initially. There may be lots of reasons for less initial consumption eg quality, price, ambience etc. Bay City restaurant may have ameliorated over the time and due to this there is a 30% increament. 30% of a small number is a small number only and it never ensures that new seafood restaurant will be popular and successful.

We need to address following queries:

a) When was the Bay City restaurant inaugrated and how much was its seafood consumption 5 years ago??

If Bay City restaurant is an old restaurant, it is possible that 5 years back they had a good amount of seafood consumption and 30% increase over the past five years is also a significant amount. It will depict that seafood consumption has increased significantly and ensures the success of new seafood restaurant. On the other hand, if five years back Bay City restaurant was a tyro and they had a very little seafood consumption, 30% increament will not be a significant increment considering it over the past five years. In this case probability of the success of new restaurant will be supressed.

b) How was the quality, price, ambience etc of Bay City restaurant 5 years ago??

Some quantitative data for these variables will help to consolidate that increase in consumption is due to overall increase in the number of people in the city who enjoys seafood or it is just due to the fact that restaurant has ameliorated itself over the time.

2) "Majority of Bay City are two income families and nationwide study has shown that such families eat significantly fewer home cooked meals than they did a decade ago but at the same time express more concern about healthful eating".

It is quite possible that culture of Bay City differs from culture of rest of the nation. Nationwide survey may include only Metro cities and there is no similarity in Metro cities and Bay City.

Moreover concern of people towards healthful eating does not signify that people prefer seafood. People may prefer salad, vegetables, eggs etc instead of seafood. Thus these evidences put by author do not seem to be cogent and we need to address folowing queries to conclude something:

1) There should be survey limited to Bay City in order to have a glimpse of life style followed in this region only. If survey result indicates more people eating outside, there is a good probability of success of new restaurant Captain Seafood.

2) There should be some data depicting the diversity of population residing in Bay City. If Bay City consists of more east asian population, it is likely that more number of seafood restaurants will be popular. On the other hand, if it consists of more south asian population, it is likely not to be profitable.

Thus with the help of above points, we can say that evidences put by author are quite reasonable but are not ample to ensure the success and profitability of the new sea food restaurant. Response to some additional queries as mentioned above will definitely ensure the success or failure of new restaurant Captain Seafood.

_________________________

Flag Note

This essay has been flagged for deletion because its primary issue is the large number of language errors; unfortunately, we cannot address that issue here. If you wish to review English grammar, you may find Purdue University's writing site helpful:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/
Submitted by: shruti123

About shruti123