Educational Institutions Should Actively Encourage Students To Choose Fields Of Study That Will Prepare Them For Lucrative Careers - With A Free Essay Review

“Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.”

In my opinion, educational institutions should actively encourage students to choose fields based on their interests and talents rather than the lucrative careers which the fields will prepare them for.

As far as I know, interest is the best driving force for a student to persist in studying his major courses no matter how difficult these courses are. And it is hard for a student to acquire expertise without devoting all his energy and passion to what he is studying. Meanwhile, if a student has a talent for what he is studying, it is easier for him to achieve progress than others, which in turn can stimulate his interest and lead to success eventually. In contrast, if a student chooses a field of study he doesn't like, some negative outcomes may result. Because he is not interested in that field of study, he may just doze off during class and learn nothing.

Some people may insist that most of students would finally step into society to find a job after graduation. So they propose that students should take courses that seem most likely to lead to jobs of high salary. They are afraid that the quality of lives of students may be undermined if students select courses that seem less possible to lead to lucrative careers. However, I disagree with their view. There are two reasons.

Firstly, taking the courses that seem most likely to lead to jobs of high salary does not give birth to real high salary. If a student doesn't study diligently and is not competent after graduation, he won't get a high salary or even won't get a job. Meanwhile, it is hard for educational institutions to foresee the future development of a field. For instance, in China, there were a lot of job opportunities with high salary in the field of computer science during 1990s. So, many students took computer science as their college major at the end of 1990s. However, because so many students studied computer science, it became very competitive for a student who graduated at beginning of 2000s to find a job from IT companies. And consequently, the salary fell, too.

Secondly, taking the courses that seem less possible to lead to lucrative careers does not mean real failure in the future. Like I said before, if a student studies his major courses with high interest and talent, he can still finally be professional in his major and get a high salary after graduation.

So, educational institutions should actively encourage students to choose fields based on their interests and talents rather than the lucrative careers which the fields will prepare them for.

_____________________

You seem generally in this essay to be rejecting the premise of the argument you've been asked to discuss; i.e., that there are certain fields of study that will prepare students for lucrative careers and certain fields of study that do not prepare students for lucrative careers. While objecting to the premise of the given argument can be a legitimate, explicit part of your answer (it is important to state explicitly that you are so objecting), I don't think that it should be the basis of your response as a whole. You are being asked to discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim; you cannot do that without accepting (if only for the sake of argument) the premise. If you accept the premise, then you can begin to discuss relevant issues, such as whether the purpose of a university is to prepare students for their career or for something else (life in general, or a life of intellectual pursuit in particular, for example); or whether educational institutions have a responsibility or even a right to try to influence a student's choice, and if they have, what is the ground of that responsibility or choice. These are just examples of the kinds of issues that you would need to address in order to respond to the given prompt. Note, for instance, when you turn to consider possible objections to your position (in the paragraph beginning "Some people may insist ..."), you don't mention anywhere the role of educational institutions. I would encourage you to take another bash at this essay.

Submitted by: kedou

About kedou