To Understand The Most Important Characteristics Of A Society, One Must Study Its Major Cities - With Free Essay Review

"To Understand The Most Important Characteristics Of A Society, One Must Study Its Major Cities. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position."

In the statement, the term “the most important characteristics of a society,” which can be art and historic characteristics or traditional customs, is ambiguous. I agree that many major cities host various populations and representative collections of architectures and museums, which can reveal some important characteristics like art and economical characteristics. However, I think it is very important to observe some small historical towns, whose traditional customs are well preserved.

First of all, I think we can understand some important characteristics of a society by studying major cities of a country because these cities contain a dense population, architectures and museums, which can reveal art, economic and ethological characteristics of a society. For instance, New York city has a very diverse population. It is known as a melting pot, which hosts people from different countries around the world, and this also reveals an important characteristic of the US, the society host immigrants from all over the world, and has a diverse cultural background. In addition, New York city is also the financial center of the US, thus, it demonstrates the economical trends of the country. Further, by studying Washington DC, we can discover some historical characteristics of the society because there is a large collection of various museums, which can help reveal some historical characteristics of the society. Cities like Barcelona can help us understand the art and aesthetic characteristics of the society by studying their architecture. Therefore, I think we can understand some important characteristics of a society by studying its major cities.

However, some small towns also demonstrate some important historical and traditional characteristics of a society because they are less modernized and industrialized. For instance, some Indian reservations are hermetic from modern society. They preserved their native and traditional customs in their original forms. In addition, some historical small towns such as some well-known battlefields can also reflect some historical characteristics of the society. In this case, studying these small towns can reveal some important characteristics of a society.

Overall, while I agree that we can understand some important characteristics of a society because it contains some representative architectures, museums, and populations, it is also very important to study some small historic towns, whose traditions are well preserved.

_____________________

You argue first that one can understand some important characteristics of a society by studying its major cities. This argument is articulated in the first sentence of the second paragraph, which is an oddly structured sentence; it's not clear what exactly you are claiming can reveal economic characteristics of society; and the same is true for ethnological (you drop the 'n' here, which makes for an amusing typo) characteristics. The rest of the paragraph is devoted to examples which help you elaborate the argument a little. There are a number of problems here, however. You say that New York, as the financial center of the US "demonstrates the economical trends of the country." This is an incomplete argument because it does not go without saying that the financial center of a country (and especially of a country the size of the US, which has a number of financial centers) demonstrates economic trends of the country as a whole, and it is not clear in any case what studying New York with a view to understanding economic trends of the US would entail. Your statement about Washington is a bit clearer (although its repetition of "historical characteristics of the society is awkward and unnecessary); in this case, it does more or less go without saying that museums can teach something about history.

Of course one could possibly understand the major historical characteristics of a society by studying the right history books. You argue, again, that one can learn about society by studying major cities, but you don't argue that it is necessary to study the cities, and so technically have not answered the question. That doesn't make your second paragraph a waste of effort (the difference between "one can" and "one must" can be bridged with the right sentence). Perhaps it does make the third paragraph a waste of effort however. Demonstrating that one can learn something also from small towns about society really is not relevant here. This prompt is probably the most frequently misinterpreted of all the GRE prompts, and so is, I think, a poorly-worded prompt, but it can be taken as a good warning that every prompt should be carefully read.

P.S. I’ve cleaned up a few typos; please consider proofreading before submitting!