GRE Issue: Nations Should Pass Laws - Flagged

For centuries before the industrial revolution, people and wildness had lived peacefully together. But, then humankind has rushed into building factorial zones, tons of dirt and wasted water were released directly into the air, rivers, and oceans every year. More and more endangered plants and animals have been threatened with extinction. The wildness has been destroying by economic activities of human is a bitter fact. Economic gain could never justify for the loss of wildness. Nations must enact strict laws to preserve the natural environment before it is too late to do anything.

To begin with, some people might argue that economic gain should always be the first and foremost priority because preserving the life of people is more exigent than trying to save any other animals. It sounds unreasonable for countries as in Africa, Middle East spend plentiful money for protecting some tigers, lions, or whales while thousands of children here are dying every day because of being hungry, disease and wars .Or,stop the operation of a factory which solving thousands of unemployed for the nation by saying that the firm is harmful to the local wilderness. Poor workers need that company to supply their crowded families; also the local government does need it to stable the budget. However, these assumptions do not hold true. Protecting wilderness regions does not preclude economic development. In fact, natural preservation keeps economic options open for the future. Think about how much the region will be lost if its forests are not protected. The forest management practice of that region will not be certified, so the loss of markets for wood is an obvious result. Furthermore, approximately more than forty percent of medicinal prescriptions of human depend on herbal sources of wilderness; therefore, the disappearance of plants will lead to the downright of medicinal fields as well. Ecotourism industry attracting hundreds of visitors annually also suffers severe damage due to forest devastation or polluted oceans and rivers. All in all,as the above examples illustrate, wilderness protection does not constrain economic gain by any reasons. Actually, this protection will; in contrast, bolster the economic diversification of the nation.

More importantly, preservation of wilderness has been becoming a global goal today. A call for reservation of the biodiversity of the Earth has been announced worldwide. Preservation of the nature has the same meaning of preserving the life of all living things on our planet. One might argue that animals die because of the natural rules; the extinction of this species is somehow the blooming of the others, just like human civilization was flourished only after giant dinosaurs had disappeared. This argument is not persuasive, however. Extinction does occur naturally;but decline of our wild animals and plants is less and less as a result of natural events. Most dangers to wildlife are from environmental pollution, forest devastation, and habitat loss and so on, all are generally a direct result of human activities. For example, according to a scientific report, during 3.000 years of the Ice Age, all North America lost only about three species every 100 years, but from the year 1620 up to now, more than 500 plants and animals had no longer existed. The humankind now must be responsible for what they have done to the nature.

In conclusion, wilderness must have the right and opportunity to exist and thrive, not just for humans but for all the living things that depend upon it for their survival. The time to protect the wilderness that means so much for us is now, before it’s gone forever. Strict laws of natural reservation are a must with every country.

Submitted by: jehm

Sereine
+2

You should probably leave a few minutes at the end of your writing section for corrections. Your essay has numerous spelling errors, typos, mis-wordings, and incomplete sentences.

Your first argument is the most compelling. You do a good job setting up the opposing argument (that human life is valuable and required in developing nations) and then explaining why that argument is false. You explain that wilderness can produce economic benefit. This begs the question: should nations preserve wilderness even if that wilderness cannot produce economic benefit? The pharmaceutical example is a good one: if it were more specific, it would be more powerful.

Your second argument appears to address this by claiming that preserved wilderness is valuable on its own merits. However, your discussion on extinction rates is out of place. And your assertion that preservation is a global goal today does not explain why preservation is a global goal or whether it is a worthwhile goal.

You have good examples, but your assertion that "economic gain could never justify loss of wilderness" is too strong to be supported in this limited space.
August,06 2012

Jehm
+1

This is my modified essay for the flagged one. Thank you.
August,06 2012

Jehm
+1

Thank you very much for your help. Would you please suggest me some ways to deal with mis-wordings and incomplete sentences?
August,07 2012