Technology And The Ability To Think - With A Free Essay Review

“As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate. - Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.”

Since technology has pervaded every aspect of our life nowadays, people start to rely more and more on technology to help them solve problems. I agree that people rely more and more on technology to solve problems. However, I disagree with the statement that while people become more and more dependent on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will deteriorate, because while technology helps us solve more problems it also creates some more problems for us to solve. In this case, people still play a role in problem solving, and the ability of humans to think may not necessarily deteriorate.

First of all, I agree that people rely more and more on technology to solve problems. It is apparent in scientific fields and our daily life that we become more and more dependent on technology to solve problems. For instance, people do not perform repetitive calculations anymore; rather, we use computers to perform a sophisticated data crunching process. Nowadays, people do not have to memorize or try to figure out the direction to a new place anymore; GPSs tell us where to go. With all of these, we do not have to try to think, or solve the problem by ourselves; instead, technology helps us efficiently. Therefore, it is true that to a certain extent technology helps us solve many problems.

While technology can help us solve more and more problems, it creates some new problems as well. As more and more people start to use cars as our primary transportation, it creates environmental problems, too. The carbon dioxide gases pose a threat for global warming, and people have come up with ideas to solve the global warming problem. In addition, gasoline powered cars also face another problem, the shortage of gasoline. Thus, we have come up with an alternative resource to substitute gasoline, such as electric cars or bio-diesel. Engineers have to make new cars with less environmental pollution using sustainable power. In these cases, people practice problem solving by solving the problems created by new technology.

Overall, It is true that people rely more and more on technology nowadays, and technology helps us solve many problems which, otherwise, would require us to solve. However, it also creates some other problems that require us to solve. In this case, people still get chances to practice problem-solving skills; thus, the ability of human to solve problems and think for themselves may not necessarily deteriorate.

_____________________________

The claim that technology helps us to solve many problems is not, as you put it, "true to a certain extent"; it's just true. It's true, and it's also a presupposition of the prompt, as is the claim that we will increasingly rely on technology to solve problems. You might consider the latter claim arguable (although in the absence of some world-altering event, I don't see much to argue about), but even if you do, neither that claim, nor the claim that we rely on technology to solve problems, need to be addressed as such in this essay.

You are not being asked to address the presuppositions of the claim, then, just the arguable consequence that "the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate." That's the claim that you need to address, and really you just devote one paragraph to it. I think that's a mistake and that you should devote the whole essay to discussing that claim. Even if you disagree with me on this point, you would probably agree, and probably felt as you were writing it, that your paragraph devoted to demonstrating that people rely more and more on technology to solve problems does not really afford you an opportunity to showcase your analytical ability (which is my polite way of saying that it is all - so much for politeness! - fairly banal stuff).

The paragraph in which you explain why you think our ability to solve problems will deteriorate despite the given circumstance of our ever-increasing dependence on technology, makes an argument that is true enough (for now! - for who knows whether man or machine will be solving the problems caused by technological development in the future) but that might be taken to skirt the issue a little. Isn't it the case that all you've demonstrated here is that in certain cases, certain classes of people (the engineers, the policy-makers) will still need to solve problems and so maintain their capacity for thought? What about the other 99 percent of the people? If you want, in other words, to tackle the claim in its generality, then you need to consider ways in which people generally might maintain their ability to think for themselves.

To give one hint of what I mean here, one could say that people generally are interested not just in finding convenient ways of having problems solved for them, but also in finding new problems to solve (there has long been a huge market for problem-solving games, for example).

P.S., Welcome back to Essayjudge! (And note, if you have a heart!, that I've cleaned up some of the typos; please proofread).

Uofr6460
+1

Dear EJ, I'm back again.
August,06 2012