GRE Issue 81 - Flagged

All parents should be required to volunteer time to their children's schools. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

The statement simply claims that all parents should be required to volunteer time to their children's school. It is true that in spending time in school, parents have more chances to communicate with their children's teachers and know how well their children study in school so as to solve any problems with respect to study or living. However, with close examination, the claim that all parents must spare time to volunteer in children's schools sounds a little bit infeasible and unrealistic because maybe some parents have too much work to squeeze enough time; maybe all parents with little experience might bring difficulty to school's regulation.

It is beneficial for parents to volunteer time to their children's schools because parents thus have opportunities to learn something about their children's lives in school. Moreover, they could also communicate with teachers to find out whether there is something wrong with their children for the sake of making children grow mentally and physically healthy. Also, being a volunteer in children's school, parents not only could experience school life once more, but also could take part in some activities, which affords parents more interactions with children. For example, most of parents in America always spend their time in children's school. Some of them help teachers take care of children and some of them serve as referee in some children's competition, score children's works with teachers. During these activities, parents get much more information about their children as well as getting pleasure with their children.

However, not all of parents could volunteer time to their children's schools. The reasons are various. Some parents must spend a lot of time in business. Otherwise, they might be fired or given less money. Sometimes, some parents in school are inclined to bring adverse effects to schools. For instance, some parents are addicted to smoking; so smoking in front of children not only is detrimental to their children's health but also gives children a bad image. What's more, without enough experience, parents might do wrong things, even though their intention are well meaning, which might put a heavy burden on teachers. Therefore, in order for parents to prepare for being a good volunteer, some training and orientation must be required, and unfortunately, these inevitably should cost many financial and human resources. Hence, we can see, because of the reasons mentioned above, this recommendation, though well-intentioned, might hardly be put into effect. So, if schools have enough money and staff, these schools could let some parents who have enough time and energy volunteer in schools.

In conclusion, this statement could hardly be carried out because every one of parents has his/her different situations and thus not all of them could spend time in schools. Also, letting all parents in school is likely to put high pressure on schools. Nevertheless, given that parents serve as volunteers in school also benefit schools and their children, parents who are willing to volunteer could spend time in their children's school after enough preparation.

________________________

Flag Note

This essay has been flagged because its primary issue is the large number of language errors. As I've mentioned before, you can begin to address that issue by using online resources, such as Purdue's OWL. Corrected essays can be resubmitted.
Submitted by: hahaxiao66

About hahaxiao66