GRE Issue 43: The Increasingly Rapid Pace Of Life Today Causes More Problems Than It Solves - With A Free Essay Review

PROMPT: “The increasingly rapid pace of life today causes more problems than it solves. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.”

The statement simply claims that the increasingly rapid pace of life today causes more problems than it solves. In the past several decades, due to the development of science and technology, the pace of life has increased at a tremendous speed. People could spend less time on their way to work than on foot; people could do far more assignments than they used to do. However, the rapid pace of life also causes a lot of unexpected problems, ranging from physical to mental problems. Therefore, the increasingly rapid pace of life today causes more problems than it solves.

With the help of advanced technology, people can accomplish their tasks more efficiently and effectively. Therefore, they can save a lot of time so as to do more things. For example, with the advanced mass transport, such as airplanes, businessmen could travel to another place in a few hours; so they are able to negotiate with other representative face to face during one day. However, compared to current situation, people in the past might travel two or more days for only one business. This is surely a waste of a lot of time. Hence, we could see, due to the ever-increasingly rapid pace of life today, people can finish more tasks than before and do things more efficaciously.

Admittedly, the increasingly rapid pace of life does solve some problems, but it also causes many complications that did not exist in the past. First, the rapid pace of life puts a heavy burden on people with respect to mentality as well as physicality. For instance, after finishing one thing, people have little time to rest and begin to do another one as soon as possible, which makes people very tired. It goes without saying that a large number of people are sub-healthy because of lack of relaxation. Also, the rapid pace of life compels people to pay more attention to their work because without hard-work, people would soon be replaced by others and thus lose their valuable jobs. This not only causes people to eat junk food for the sake of doing more work, but also deprives their time of communicating with their family members. Men are social creatures. Without proper and enough communication, people are likely to become distress as well as murky. Owing to the rapid pace of life, a large number of people only communicate with their friends and family members on telephone for a very short time. As a result, people feel lonely or might have mental diseases. Therefore, increasingly rapid pace of life also cause many troubles, causing people to become sad and unhealthy.

In conclusion, it is true that increasingly rapid pace of life solve some problems. It is beneficial to people largely because people could accomplish more tasks in a very limited time and force them to work with more efficiency. However, we could not deny that it also produces many problems, ranging from mental to physical problems. Sometimes, rapid pace means having a short life. Therefore, in general, it causes more problems than it solves.

_______________________________

The first paragraph is relatively weak. The first sentence is probably unnecessary. The claim that people can “spend less time on their way to work than on foot" makes little sense, and less sense as a measure of the pace of life. The conclusions use the word "therefore" but no reason has been given for thinking the rapid pace of life causes more problems than it solves. The other problem is one the paragraph shares with the essay as a whole; namely, the quality of the writing. There are many elementary errors (too many) throughout the essay. Some are probably due to a failure to proofread (please do proofread before submitting essays, so we don't have to talk about it!) but some are also due to an incomplete grasp of the basic rules of grammar. (In case I haven’t mentioned it before: visit Purdue University's online site* if you want to address this problem, as I think you should).

As for the content of the essay, most of the points that you make are reasonable enough. Your discussion of the possible benefits of a rapid pace of life does seem fairly limited in scope, however. You discuss only the possible benefits for the individual; certain tasks take less time, you claim (it's odd that you reference here a relatively old technology rather than, say, videoconferencing, which eliminates the need to travel, as an example of how time can be saved). You don't discuss any of the possible benefits for society as a whole produced by an increasingly rapid pace of life. If the speed with which important things get done is a reasonable measure of the pace of life, it's not difficult to imagine the possible advantages to, say, the economy (although it may be that high-speed commercial activity may lead also to dangerous volatility, and high-speed military actions, to take a different example, may lead to depressing increases in the efficiency with which we kill each other).

Best, EJ

P.S. Welcome back to EssayJudge! But please note that we now ask students to limit submissions to no more than one essay per day (because we can no longer keep up). A few of the other essays that you recently submitted have been deleted. Can you please proofread them and resubmit them, if you wish, at a rate of one per day?

*Purdue OWL: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/
Submitted by: hahaxiao66

About hahaxiao66