The Following Is A Recommendation From The Board Of Directors Of Monarch Books. - With A Free Essay Review

‘The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books.

"We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because it is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects. Clearly, opening the café would attract more customers. Space could be made for the café by discontinuing the children's book section, which will probably become less popular given that the most recent national census indicated a significant decline in the percentage of the population under age ten. Opening a café will allow Monarch to attract more customers and better compete with Regal Books, which recently opened its own café."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.’

The authors conclude that opening a cafe at Monarch Books will attract more customers and help it better compete with Regal Books. However, in making their argument the authors leave several questions unanswered.

The board of directors assume that since the national census shows that the percentage of the population that is under ten is decreasing, the popularity of the children section will decrease. However, they have left a fundamental question unanswered : whether the national census can be generalized to the town in which Monarch books is situated. If the general statement of decrease in the population under ten does not apply to the town, it will be a big mistake on the part of the Monarch books to close the children section.

The authors also seem to assume that opening a cafe will attract more customers, but the question is where is the evidence? A poll has to be taken among the loyal customers of Monarch books, on whether opening a cafe instead of having a children book section would make the book store more attractive. If a major chunk of the customers do not find the idea agreeable it will be a bad decision to open the cafeteria

Another assumption made is that opening a cafe will help Monarch better compete with Regal Books which has a cafe. In order to make the argument more persuasive,the question that has to be answered is what evidence is there to support this assumption .The question can be answered by for example conducting a poll in the area on whether the opening of a cafe at Regal books gave it an edge. If the opinion poll results show that customers were not appealed by the idea of a cafe ,the recommendation will be proven flawed.

To conclude, the questions given have to be answered in order to strengthen and validate the argument of the board of directors.

_________________________________

Since this kind of thing probably comes up in a number of essays, it is worth noting that a decline in the percentage of the population under the age ten does not in itself imply a decline in the number of children under the age ten (because the percentage decline could be explained by an increase in the population of older persons). In an essay, one could point to this fact and to the fact to which you allude (the results of national surveys may not be locally applicable) to explain the need to ask whether in fact the population of children in the area served by Monarch has declined (that would be a fairly simple and clear way of asking the question.) One would then need to explain the significance of possible answers to that question. Your explanation is limited to the final sentence of your second paragraph ("If the general statement etc."), and your conclusion is not necessarily true: the value of the children's section to the bookstore might well depend on other factors, so there would be many other questions that one should ask, such as: How much of the stores profit is due to the sale of children's books? How many customers with children use the bookstore? Do these customers buy other books? And, in light of the expressed desire to compete with Regal Books, does that competitor have a children's section?

In your next paragraph, the question that you identify (where is the evidence?) is too vague although you partly make up for that by specifying how it might be answered. The specific question that you are implicitly identifying here is this: Do existing customers like the idea? You conclude that if the answer to that question is negative, the recommendation would be flawed. I will leave you to think about why that is also not necessarily true.

You have the same problem in the next paragraph. Instead of asking "what evidence is there to support this assumption," it would be better to identify specific questions whose answers would constitute evidence to support the claim. It seems to me that asking people whether they think opening a cafe at Regal gave it “an edge” would not be the best way of getting the evidence you need here. How about this: Has Regal attracted more customers since opening its cafe? Has Monarch lost any customers since Regal opened its cafe? If Regal has attracted more customers, is the opening of the cafe the only possible explanation of that fact?

Submitted by: 13100021

About 13100021