Miscommunication And Misundersating A Romeo And Juliet Tragedy(Part 1/4)

In Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, the lack of communication and understanding leads to a tragic end for both young lovers.

Unquestionably, Juliet because a very cryptic character when she deals with her responses. At times, she is to be blame for the misunderstandings, by sending coded messages and causing confusion. Specifically, Juliet sends puzzling messages to Paris when she encounters him in friar Lawrence cell. When Paris asked if she was indeed in love with him, Juliet answered vaguely and while looking at the friar she said, “I will confess to you [friar] that I love him [Romeo],” (Juliet V. i. 26). Juliet’s coded answers to Paris question only cause’s confusion. Although marriage was very common in their time, Paris might have step aside to let Juliet be free. However, Juliet confession of this so-called love just intensifies Paris wish to marry her. Additionally, in another occasion, Juliet also sends obscure messages when she speaks with her parents. She gives answers with double meanings or lies. When her mother asked why she cries, she neither confirms nor denies that she cries for Tybalt. She simple and very vaguely says, “Madam I am not well” Her mother takes that as a sign that she must be grieving over her dead cousin. When Lady Capulet rages on about Revenge for Tybalt, Juliet continues to say, “Yet let me weep for such a feeling loss,” or confirming her mother suspects by saying “Ay madam, from the reach thee my hands could none but I avenge my cousins death!” Hence, Lady Capulet is misled to believing Juliet is crying for her dead cousin death and would like to have revenge against Romeo for killing Tybalt. Juliet worsens matter with her double meanings and secrets. Buy the time her parents announce her engagement with Paris, a web of lies has been spun. Have she had said the truth, her parents had no choice but let it be, for she was already married and the dead was consummated. Remarrying could have been a sin. In final consideration, hiding the truth only results in misunderstand, and the consequences tend to be disastrous.

Submitted by: Sapphire_silver

Jobabii13
+1

Okay well firt of all it is a pretty good essay and you gave a great job of clearly espressing your opinion on the subject using concrete deatails from the play. .............. by the way-she is to be blame for the misunderstandings,-blame should be blamed
July,01 2010

Adavis93
+1

I agree with the above, good views and wording, doesnt have to be 'blamed' that you put in instead of blame (on the 3rd line), just take out the word 'be'.
but good rounded perception,
"Juliet worsens matter" needs to be the matter, or matters, near the end by the way.
read few slowly, and get others to do the same for you.
March,10 2011