GRE Issue Essay: Some People Believe That Government Funding Of The Arts Is Necessary - With A Free Essay Review

"Some people believe that government funding of the arts is necessary to ensure that the arts can flourish and be available to all people. Others believe that government funding of the arts threatens the integrity of the arts. Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented."

The issue under discussion is whether government funding is essential for the promotion of the arts or whether it threatens the integrity of the arts. In my opinion, government funding is necessary for the arts to flourish.

Government funding for the arts, which include films, poetry, paintings and literature, ensures their promotion. Without any government investment in the arts, there will be no proper academies to teach filmmaking, acting and art; hence without proper guidance the quality of work produced will be poor and people will not be able to get proper training for the arts. For example countries such as France and Italy have been able to maintain the rich tradition of art only through promoting it with government help and support in the form of funding.

However, looking at the other side of the picture, some people believe that government funding of the arts will make them very commercial, thus disrupting the integrity of the arts. Indeed, it is possible that people will pursue arts with a materialistic purpose, hence, leading to people producing works of art that are not very innovative, but only commercial. A case against this argument is that ultimately even if art takes a more commercial element only those people who are versatile will succeed. No one can become a famous painter like Vincent Van Gogh, who used to spend months on one painting, without producing work that is special.

To conclude, government funding is essential for the arts to flourish. Even if government funding puts a commercial aspect to the arts only people,who contribute something special and unique will really make a mark in the arts.

____________________________________________________

In your second paragraph you claim that without government funding "there will be no proper academies to teach filmmaking, acting, and art." You don't clarify why you think that, however, aside from offering an example of countries in which government funding has helped "maintain the rich tradition of art." It doesn't go without saying, in any case, that there cannot be successful, privately run academies supported by tuition or by donations. The scope of the paragraph also seems fairly limited. Surely there is more to the success of the arts than the existence of government-supported academies.

The scope of the third paragraph is also a bit limited. You don't use the word "commercial" in a specific way, and don't make it clear what might be wrong with art that is commercial (beyond opposing, without explicit justification, the quality of being commercial to the quality of being innovative). Note that it might also be argued that an art that has to survive without government funding might be more likely to be commercial (if by "commercial" you mean something like "designed to sell"). You also don't consider any other possible impact on the "integrity" of a work of art that might be consequent upon government funding. It may be, for instance, that some governments are inclined only to support work that is judged ideologically fitting.

P.S., Please proofread before submitting essays. You might take note of some of the corrections of errors in punctuation that I've made to this essay. You can review rules governing punctuation at the following web page:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/6/
Submitted by: 13100021

Kentblue
+1

By carl for GRE revised test.
August,03 2012