The Following Appeared In A Letter From A Homeowner To A Friend. - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: ‘The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend. "Of the two leading real estate firms in our town—Adams Realty and Fitch Realty—Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work only part-time. Moreover, Adams' revenue last year was twice as high as that of Fitch and included home sales that averaged $168,000, compared to Fitch's $144,000. Homes listed with Adams sell faster as well: ten years ago I listed my home with Fitch, and it took more than four months to sell; last year, when I sold another home, I listed it with Adams, and it took only one month. Thus, if you want to sell your home quickly and at a good price, you should use Adams Realty." Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.’

The author in the argument concludes that compared to Fitch Reality , Adams Reality is better, hence using it will allow people to sell their houses quickly. However, this argument is based on several flawed assumptions.

The author assumes that the conditions for selling a house were the same last year as they were 10 years ago. Since he makes this assumption, he states that as it took him more than four months to sell his house ten years ago when he used Fitch Reality, compared to just one month to sell his house last year using Adams reality, Adams Reality is better. However, he has not clearly validated his claim, it might be that the economic situation was more favourable last year compared to 10 years ago, and that might be the reason the house last year sold more quickly than the house ten years ago.

The author also makes the assumption that since Adam’s Realty employs more real estate agents than Fitch Reality, it is better. However, he does not give any proof of how having more real estate agents makes Adams Realty better than Fitch Reality.

The argument fails to make the link between higher revenue and better quality. No evidence is given to substantiate the claim that generating higher revenue makes Adams Reality a good choice to use to sell one’s house. It is possible that Adams’ revenue might be two fold higher than Fitchs’ because it is more expensive. Therefore, the higher generation of revenue may not be because Adams is better but might be perhaps because it charges higher amounts per house compared to Fitch.

Finally, an assumption made by the author is that since the average price of the houses sold by Adams is higher than that for Fitch, a sale made under Adams will command a higher price. However, the high average prices of houses sold by Adams may be possibly because Adams’ sells houses having prices at the higher end of the house market. Hence, it does not necessarily signify better services.

To conclude, the author needs to effectively address the assumptions given in order to increase the strength of the argument. If the assumptions prove unwarranted, the argument will be weak , and a person may not be making the right decision by choosing Adams to sell his house.

___________________________

You state in your first paragraph that the argument is "based on several flawed assumptions." Note that you have no way to know whether the assumptions are flawed or not (which is why you are asked what the implications are "if the assumptions prove unwarranted.") That's a minor point, but it's good to avoid elementary errors in the first few sentences.

Your second paragraph correctly identifies one of the assumptions of the argument. (In case what I was saying above is unclear, note that the author's assumption could be correct; conditions may not have changed at all in ten years). The problem with this paragraph is that it does not explain the consequences for the argument in the case that the assumption proves unwarranted. What those consequences are may seem to go without saying, but I would recommend against ever assuming that things go without saying, and suggest instead carrying out the instructions in the prompt explicitly. Here, that means concluding your paragraph with a sentence like this: "If the assumption proves unwarranted, and recent conditions are more favorable than those of ten years ago for selling houses, and there is no other basis for assuming that Adams sells houses more quickly than Fitch, then the conclusion that one should prefer Adams to Fitch if one wants to sell one's home quickly is unwarranted." That's a bit clunky, but it's clear enough and its logic appears to be indefectible.

The next paragraph is also a bit problematic. What you call an assumption, in the first sentence, is really an argument, although it is surely a poor argument. (Perhaps I'm being pedantic there, and one could of course say that the argument assumes that Adams' having more agents positively contributes either to the speed with which a house is sold or the price it sells for.) More importantly, you don't come to any conclusions about the argument, and instead merely point out what the author does not do (which you, given this prompt, don't necessarily have to do).

In the next paragraph, you seem to give up entirely on the task of explicitly identifying assumptions of the argument. But you redeem your essay in the penultimate paragraph with a clear (and correct) identification of one of the argument's assumptions.

Submitted by: 13100021

About 13100021