Do Smartphones Need Virus Protection Software? - With A Free Essay Review

Research Android, iPhone, and Blackberry smartphones. What viruses/malware exist for each smartphone OS? Some proponents have stated that smartphones do not need anti-virus software. Do you agree? Why or why not?

As smart phones become more popular, and their connectively processing power increase they are attracting more attention from Malware writer`s around the world. How many strains of Malware are in circulation right now for Smartphones? Surprisingly, the answer is much lower than you think. The answer is 17,702,208. In the eight days between April 5 and April 12, only 12 new detections were added to Systemac`s Certified Detection file, with one of them added on a single day April 10th.

• Three were generic detections for malicious packages. While, these aren`t new strains of malware they are, new forms of packaging. The accompanying write up calls each one a “Heuristic detection or files that have been obfuscated or encrypted in order to conceal themselves from Antivirus Software.”

• Four are generic detections for existing fake Antivirus packages. These are also, Heuristic detections designed to identify rogue anti malware programs by behavior rather than by their content.

• Two aimed at Android: Android.Tigerboot and Android.Gonfu.D. Both are backdoors for malicious Android Apps.

• One new entry called Adware.

• One new entry is for something called Trojan.darkshell, which has a vague description.

• One is the infamous flash back for Mac`s.

April 2012, Systemac updated its definition for the following pieces of ancient Malware and bumped up the counter in its definition files accordingly:

• The sub seven Trojan which was a big deal in the 1990`s but, was officially shut down in 2003.

• W32.chir.b@mm a mass mailing worm from 2002 that targets internet explorer versions 4 through 5.

• Spybot a family of worms that spread using the Kazaa file sharing network and a variety of Windows 2000 and XP flaws that patched in 2003.

• Netsky is a 2004 Vintage mass mailing worm.

• My doom, which is another mass mailing worm spawned one of the first botnets.

Computer security experts say viruses attacked Smart phones more in 2011 than previous years. What can happen with a Smart phone Virus, Malware, or Trojan? It can send your personal information to unknown parties. Turn your phone into a botnet so others can execute commands such as spam. It also, gives others the ability to monitor your phone calls and text messages. There are many apps designed to turn your phone into a botnet.

My answer would be maybe. During, my research of the many different viruses and malware I have determined that there is no yes or no answer. It all depends on what Smart phone you have, what you have downloaded, and what you do on your phone. Such as, banking, bill pay and anything else that contain personal information. Malware has increased 475% over the years so; if you were using your phone for these reasons then the answer would be “yes.” You do indeed need an Anti-virus Protection Software.

Remember, mobile phone Malware is a new virus. Therefore, no one can predict how vicious this can get.

________________________________________

The introduction here doesn't really establish a clear approach to the problem under discussion. First, you claim that phones are attracting more attention from malware, which makes me think the problem is serious. Then you claim the number of strains of malware is "much lower than [I] think," which makes me think the problem is not serious. Then you tell me that number is 17.7 million and change, which is not smaller than I thought, and makes me think the problem is serious again. Then you focus for unknown reasons on "new detection" in a particular week of an as yet unspecified year. You say that "only 12 new detections were added," which seems geared towards making me think the problem is not serious. And then you say that one was "added on a single day," and I'm afraid I've no idea why you want to tell me that. Next you identify what "Systemac" detected, which perhaps answers part of the question asked in the prompt, but it doesn't seem to answer it completely. Unless you have a particular reason for mentioning what was detected in that week in April, perhaps it would be better to identify particular classes of malware, and specify also whether any malware targets the iPhone OS or Blackberry's, which you don't mention anywhere, but which the prompt seems to require you to discuss.

The next section of your essay gives me a bunch of information (about Systemac's updating definitions) but does not explain what the usefulness of this information is. You then mention some of the dangers associated with infection, which seems like it might be useful for answering the original question, but you don't really come to any conclusions based on this information.

In the final paragraph (i.e., excluding your last sentence), you claim to have determined on the basis of research that "there is no yes or no answer." You don't specify here what question there is no "yes or no" answer to (as you ought to do, even though your teacher will know what you mean) and, more importantly, you don't explain how exactly you reached your determination. I think you should do that.

Submitted by: latonya.bell

About latonya.bell