To Understand The Most Important Characteristics Of A Society, One Must Study Its Major Cities. - With A Free Essay Review

"Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position"

Is it possible to understand the important characteristics of a society by studying its major cities? By definition City is a large and important town and Society is a group of people living together who share the same customs, tradtions, culture and laws.

In ancient days it was able to get an idea about the characteristics of a society by studying its major cities. Also a city was comprised mainly of similar people who shared common customs and traditions. With industrialisation and the movement of people in and out of cities it will be difficult to understand the important characteristics of a society by studying its major cities. Nowadays a major city consists of a mixture of people - its original people and the people who have migrated from other regions. Hence by learning the characteristics of such a major city you will be getting an idea about a whole lot of people.

People living in small cities reveal a lot about the inherent culture, traditions, customs and the laws than those in major cities, as the crowd consists of original people, immigrants, tourists etc.

If you take the construction’s in a major city, be it buildings, parks, bridges and roads most of them will be similar in one sense or the other, while you go to a small city or town you will be able to see constructions which won’t be seen in any part of the country: which may be unique and tell you a lot about their customs and traditions even the history of the origin of that particular town.

Hence by blindly studying the major cities one won’t be able to understand all the important characteristics of a society.

_________________________________

Your essay answers the wrong question and, to be frank, answers it rather poorly. The question is not whether it is "possible to understand the important characteristics of a society by studying its major cities" but whether it is necessary to study the major cities of a society in order to understand that society. One could agree with your concluding sentence of your essay, for instance, and still agree with the statement in the prompt. The concluding sentence and many of the assertions made in support of it are therefore largely irrelevant to the assigned task.

If the essay were answering the right question, however, there would still be a couple of issues that need to be addressed. Let me give two examples:

Your second paragraph concludes by saying "by learning the characteristics of ... a major city [nowadays,] you will be getting an idea about a whole lot of people." This claim (in particular the expression "getting an idea") is too vague and its relevance to the overall argument of your essay is not sufficiently clear.

Your third paragraph makes a claim about what “people living in small cities reveal,” but you don't justify that claim and again its significance in relation to your overall argument is unclear. Note that when the instructions dictate that you should "explain how [your] considerations shape your position," they are telling you to do what you ought to do anyway in every essay of this kind; i.e., explain the relevance of particular claims to the argument of the essay as a whole.

Submitted by: alrains

Alrains
+1

Thanks alot EJ for reviewing my essay. Its been a long time since I;ve written an essay. I really want to improve my writing. Is there any way. Can you please help me

regards
alrains
August,01 2012