Scandals Are Useful - With A Free Essay Review

"Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position."

The issue addressed is whether scandals bring to our attention problems in ways in which a reformer or speaker could not. I strongly agree with this claim , and there are many examples of situations around us which focused our attention to issues which would otherwise have been ignored had not a scandal erupted.

The Catholic Church is a powerful institution revered by many people around the world. If someone speaks about any of the problems in it, no one is likely to give any attention to such a person since the institution is considered sacred. The child abuse scandal brought into limelight the issue of children being abused by members of the Catholic Church, men trusted by the catholic community. Had the scandal not erupted, no one would have believed a child abuse claim coming from the Catholic Church. It was only because of the scandal that the diabolical situation caught the media’s attention, and the church addressed the issue.

Similarly, Rupert Murdoch the newspaper tycoon is an influential man, no one would have dared to address any problems in any of his famous newspapers. However, the phone hacking scandal brought the issue of how News of the World hacked phones of influential people, many of them celebrities in order to gather information, hence breaking privacy laws. If anyone had spoken about how ‘News of the World ‘ was breaking privacy laws, no one would have believed them, but it was the phone hacking scandal that led to the British government inquiry into the issue, and the suspension of the News of the World by Rupert Murdoch.

To conclude, through scandals many problems which were kept well hidden came into focus. Indeed without such scandals, many pressing problems would not have had the response they had even if some influential spokesman talked about them.

____________________________________

The essay's argument is not entirely clear to me, in part because it depends so heavily on examples instead of discussing actual reasons why scandals might be more efficacious than speakers or reformers in focusing our attention on problems, and in part because it seems to imagine the possibility of scandals existing prior to the attention of the media being brought to the problem. You say, for an example of the latter problem, that "it was only because of the scandal that the diabolical situation caught the media's attention," but surely the media's attention is part of what makes a scandal a scandal; surely there is no scandal before the existence of such attention.

The other serious problem with the essay is that it does not follow the instructions; i.e., it does not "address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position." (To do that, you need to think about the possible negative aspects of, or negative consequences of, scandals, or about ways in which they fail to focus our attention on problems (or on serious problems, since often scandals are trite distractions), or about the possibility that public attention that has been "focused" by a scandal tends to lose its focus fairly quickly.)

P.S., we are asking students to limit submissions to one essay per day.
Submitted by: 13100021

About 13100021