Helping Others - With A Free Essay Review

Random acts of kindness is a good example of the golden rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". I've done many acts of kindness but one really enriched my life and touched my heart. I ended up gaining a sister, a friend for life, a clean house, and in the end I ended up needing her as much as she needed me.

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine brought a young lady over for me to meet. We met, talked for about ten minutes, and then she politely asked if she could use my shower. During the time she was in the shower, my friend explained to me that she was without a home and had nowhere else to go. I explained to him how my home is always welcomed to those in need. I recalled how rough it was for me when I too was homeless, out on the streets, struggling to make ends meet. It did not take her long to get comfortable and feel right at home.

She is still living with me after two months, and I've asked her to reside with me for the rest of my life. She has helped me out through so much. I now get to come home to a clean house and gourmet cooked meals every night. I quickly gained a sister and friend for life.

Shortly after, her moving in, my fiance (and soul mate) got deployed to Afghanistan for nine months. I have never had to deal with a deployment before. Fortunately for me she has been through many deployments and knew exactly how to help me through this one. I never realized how hard it would be, but sure enough she is helping me pull through this. I couldn't have done this without her. She has also motivated me to go out and do more. I'm no longer allowed to just sit around the house anymore. I now have to actually get up in the mornings, instead of sleeping all day, and help clean the house. I am made to get out of the house on a daily basis, even if I only take a short stroll around neighborhood.

It doesn't just go one way though. I have helped her out with stability, getting her car registered, and having it insured. I have also motivated her to get in school, she is wanting to become a nurse and help elderly people. She has shown me a lot of things that I can do, on a daily basis, to help others around me that are less fortunate. I hope one day to have as big of a heart as she has, to be more caring and understanding to those in need.

In conclusion, I learned that when you help someone out, even if it's something small, it may end up surprising you how big it is to the other person. I never realized how something so little can have such a huge impact on someone else's life. I am so blessed to have ended up with such a wonderful person, and sister, in my life. God only knows the wreck I would be in right now without her helping keep my sanity intact. She has blessed my life in so many ways, from helping me keep a clean house, to simply motivating me to do something every day. I encourage you to go out of your way, for someone in need, every chance you get. You never know what may happen.

_________________________________

There's not a whole lot to critique in a simple story such as this. The story is reasonably well told, although it relies occasionally on vague formulations (such as "she is helping me pull through this" - your reader will not have a clear idea what this means) or cliches ("I couldn't have done this without her" - even if they are true, which they often are not, cliches tend to be dull).

The analytical part of your essay, where you reflect on the wider significance of your particular experience, is fairly limited in scope, so it is difficult to see what value or interest the essay might have for a general reader. There's a little lesson, I suppose, in the first sentence of the final paragraph, but in truth it's fairly banal (as is the final sentence), and the conclusion as a whole is rather repetitive.

Submitted by: miss1989

About miss1989