Educational Institutions Have A Responsibility To Dissuade Students From Pursuing Fields Of Study In Which They Are Unlikely To Succeed. - With A Free Essay Review

"Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position."

The argument under discussion is whether educational institutes are responsible for discouraging students from going to pursue education in fields in which they are unlikely to succeed. I strongly disagree with this statement. In my opinion the students should be allowed to pursue studies in any field they want, but encouraged to take advice from their institutions on whether they are making the right decision.

After high school, the student’s capabilities have still not fully developed. If a student is not doing well at a particular subject, it does not mean that he will never succeed if he pursues the subject for further studies. What matters most is one’s passion and drive to pursue a particular career. For example, Einstein was a high school dropout, considered really mediocre, but he went on to make significant contributions in the field of physics. This means that educational institutes can never make a thorough opinion on whether a student will succeed in a particular field at such a young age.

Rather than dissuading a student from choosing a particular field, the educational institutes should just see what the students are interested in pursuing, and if they think that the students are not likely to be very good they should explicitly state it in their recommendations for university applications. Ultimately, it is the university admission committee which can best decide if a student is capable enough to do well in a particular field.

To conclude, ultimately success is determined by the efforts a person puts in, his hard work and dedication. Whether a student will do well cannot be determined just after high school, the only responsibility of the school is to encourage its students in whatever they want to pursue, and the best judge of whether a student will do well in a specific course are the universities ,since they have looked at thousands of applications of students applying for a particular subject.

____________________________________

This essay would likely be judged to be unresponsive to the prompt by a GRE essay reader. There are reasons one might advance in support of the idea that educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed and there are reasons one might advance in support of the idea that educational institutions do not have that responsibility. Your essay does not any of these reasons directly but instead discusses whether educational institutions have the ability to decide whether students are unlikely to succeed in a particular field of study (in your second paragraph) and proposes what you consider a viable alternative to the proposal (your third paragraph). These issues are largely beside the point.

The prompt presupposes the possibility of identifying students unlikely to succeed in a particular field of study. The question is really about what should be done after such a student is identified. So you need to think about what the consequences are (for the student, for the educational institution, or for society) if a student pursues a field of study in which he or she will ultimately fail, and then think about whether institutions themselves should be responsible for avoiding those consequences.

P.S., It’s not relevant to the analytical quality of your essay, but Einstein was a successful secondary school student.
Submitted by: 13100021

About 13100021