A Nation Should Require All Of Its Students To Study The Same National Curriculum Until They Enter College. With A Free Essay Review

"A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college. Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider the possible consequences of implementing the policy and explain how these consequences shape your position."

The school is the most crucial time that lays the basic foundation of a child’s knowledge. As in case of a building, a solid foundation decides how long the building is going to sustain, similarly a strong educational background of a person can foretell his success in the future. In recent times, schools give a chance to the student to decide their streams in the early classes but as far as education is concerned an equal exposure should be given to a child to every subject at least till the school level.

It is the responsibility of a school to make the education a happy and an enjoyable task for the students. Unless the anxiety and interest is not engendered amongst the students, studies will always become a burden that the child wants to get rid off as soon as possible. During the school years, the brain of a child is at its inception, trying to absorb all the knowledge with celerity, but still callow and immature to decide what is the subject that it is penchant for. Hence allowing the child to select his choice of subjects at school level is not advisable. A child may not take up a subject due to many kinds of prejudices. It is very much possible for the child to develop an interest in a subject that he hated in the lower classes.

Another important point to be taken into consideration is that the common curriculum until the school level shall also help the student to develop general knowledge about all the subjects. A smart child would be one who excels in mathematics and science but is also well aware of how the world came into existence, how the weather changes, how a country is run, and what kind of civilizations inhabited the land in the yester years. Giving the opportunity to the child to learn all the subjects together will help foster a sound knowledge and keenness to know more.

Moreover, keeping the same curriculum will again help the child to work more closely with many students. This will also develop a sense of close cooperation amongst the children. A human is a social animal and enjoys the company of people around. Studying the same subjects together will help the students to learn more about each other and hence work in a group. The common subjects for all will provide more opportunities for the students to discuss various subjects with a greater number of children. Discussion helps in developing new ideas and thus promotes a healthy and competitive spirit amongst all.

Common subjects and curriculum will definitely push the realms of education giving an opportunity to the young ones to stretch beyond their comfort zone and put in a little extra effort to learn and gain more.

_______________________________

The first paragraph is vague and does little to address the prompt. I would advise against wasting time on such introductions in a test situation, or make your introduction shorter and more pointed..

The second paragraph argues that children are not sufficiently mature to decide what subjects to study for themselves. Since having children choose what course to take is neither the only nor the most obvious alternative to having a national curriculum, this paragraph seems largely tangential to me. You need to deal directly with the advantages and disadvantages of having a national curriculum.

Your third paragraph argues that a national curriculum will ensure that children achieve a good grounding in general knowledge. Of course the truth of that claim depends on what exactly is included in the national curriculum. A national curriculum could in principle be very narrow in terms of the subjects covered. This issue again seems somewhat tangential to me.

Let me skip the next paragraph, which has similar problems, in order to explain what I think you ought to be talking about here. A national curriculum is one decided by a central body (usually a state agency, such as an education board). In countries where there is no national curriculum, different regions, and perhaps even different schools within specific regions, may have different curricula. You need to think about the advantages and disadvantages of forcing different students from different regions all to study the same national curriculum. A national curriculum, for instance, would seem to ensure a level playing field (every student has the same opportunity to study the same material); but it might be that imposing a national curriculum means that students in particular regions do not get to study subjects that are relevant to their particular region. You can also think about whether a national curriculum might help with standardizing college entrance examinations, or whether it might facilitate the focused training of educators, or whether, instead, it might result in an inflexible educational system that is slow to respond to developments outside school. There are any number of issues that would help you assess the policy articulated in the prompt, but I don't think the current essay identifies any of the most relevant issues.

Submitted by: Parul05_joshi

About Parul05_joshi