Knowing About The Past Cannot Help People To Make Important Decisions Today. - With A Free Essay Review

“Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.”

I disagree with the statement that knowing about the past cannot help people to make important decisions today, because there is a plethora of thoughts and spirits that are durable over time, and it is beneficial for us to inherit these valuable spirits when we make decisions. However, I agree that the situations we are facing now may be different from those faced by people in the past; thus, we also need to evaluate the current situation, too.

The history of man is full of examples of many great men whose thoughts and spirits are durable over time. These values are timeless, and people nowadays should still consider these examples when we make decisions. For instance, educators may try to decide whether colleges and universities should encourage students to challenge authorities or accept the knowledge that they are taught. Then, the stories of people in the past such as Galileo came up with sun-centered theory, and questioned the authoritative belief that the earth is the center of the universe; Darwin suggested the evolutionary theory claiming the human originates from apes, while the authority asserted that God creates the world. According to their examples, we known that the authority may not always be right, and by challenging the established knowledge can help students be more critical. Therefore, by knowing about the past may help educators make the decision about their educational philosophy, and for this reason, I think knowing about the past can help people make decisions.

In addition, I think knowing about the past can help people make decisions because we can learn from the mistakes that were made by people in the past, and be conscious about these things. For instance, in the past decades, due to the development of industrialization, people did some damage to the enviroment, and sacrificed the environment for short-term economic increases. Later, people experienced the negative consequences, started to be aware of environmental issues, and emphasized environmental issues. By knowing these facts, governments nowadays should bear these mistakes in minds when they make decisions about future industrial development. They may start to be more conscious about environmental damage, and avoid repeating the mistakes they made before. Thus, I think knowing about the past can help people make better decisions, and learn from previous mistakes.

However, I agree that we also need to consider the current situation. It is important to realize that the current situation may be substantially different from that in the past; thus we cannot completely copy what people did before because with current technologies some problems we faced in the past may not be a problem, or cannot affect our decisions now.

To sum up, I disagree that knowing about the past cannot help people making decision now, because some value and spirits in the past are durable. However, it is possible that the situation now is different from that was in the past, so we also need to take that into consideration.

________________________

I agree in principle with your first argument - that people of old had durable thoughts, and perhaps spirits too, whatever spirits are. I dislike the example, which looks a bit too obviously like something borrowed from an earlier essay. I cannot imagine someone contemplating a pedagogical strategy, remembering Galileo, and so deciding that he would allow students to question authority. I can imagine using Galileo as an example of the value of skepticism (I hope if I did that, I'd remember it was not Galileo who first argued for the heliocentric universe) but that seems like a different matter to me. If you were to say, however, that we can learn from the past precisely in the sense of being inspired by the courageous spirit of freethought and skepticism evidenced by the likes of Bruno or his contemporaries, then, yes, I think the example would fly.

Your second argument is also reasonable and the example works better for me. Obviously the argument of the penultimate paragraph is not fully developed. The idea that with current technology some of the old problems are no longer problems for us is true, of course, but it is one of many reasons, and by no means the most interesting reason, why looking to the past does not always help us make decisions. It's great that you want to look at both sides of the issue; why ruin that attribute of your essay by treating the other side of the argument with such indolence.

Speaking of indolence, my apologies for deleting your last few submissions; I knew I had no chance of getting to them before taking a short break from essayjudge. I will be back in a couple of weeks. If you still have essays that you want me to look at then, that would be fine, but please don't inundate me when I return! - let's keep to one or two submissions per day for a while.

Rogerwhite
+1

I'd have to agree. I don't think that you did a good enough job of tying in the first example with the main topic. In all honesty, I think that it would be difficult for anyone, but not impossible. Just to be safe, an argument that is more obvious would be beneficial.
July,18 2012