Colleges And Universities Should Require All Faculty To Spend Time Working Outside The Academic World In Professions Relevant To The Courses They Teach. - With A Free Essay Review

Colleges and universities should require all faculty to spend time working outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses they teach.

“Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider the possible consequences of implementing the policy and explain how these consequences shape your position.”

I agree with the statement that colleges and universities should require all faculty to spend time working outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses they teach, because this can make faculty better connect to the real world professions, and thus help students prepare better for their career goals.

First all, I think it is very important for all faculty to spend time working outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses they teach since they can help professors to think practically, and consider more about the reality. I think one important goal for college education is to help students to be prepared for their career goals, and help students transfer from the academic to the practicing world. Thus, by requiring faculties to spend time working outside the academic can help professors to think more practically. For instance, it is crucial for an engineering professor to realize the ideal plan in theory may not be practical in the real world, because people need to consider about costs, manufacturing ability, reproducibility, etc. Even if professors can come up with good plans which may be feasible and successful in labs, but that may not be practical in the real world due to the cost and manufracturing ability; thus, it is very important for students to realize the difference between academics and careers because the majority of these students will end up working outside the academic.

In addition, requiring faculty members to spend time working outside the academic can also help professors know about job opportunities, and the direction of future development better. It may be important for some students to considering job availability, and understand what people who work in these fields are actually doing. If professors spend time working in these relevant fields, then, they might be able to give their students more reliable suggestions, and help students understand the professions they are interested in better.

However, one may argue that it may be more pragmatic for professors to spend more time on the academic and really help students understand course materials better. While it is very important for students to understand basic concepts of the knowledge, it is also important to extend their knowledge, too. I agree that professors should ensure that they can spend qualitative time on students’ academic performances, but as long as professors can manage their time wisely, I think it is beneficial to know more information outside academics which are relevant to their professions.

To sum up, I think it is very important for colleges to require all faculty members to work outside the academic since this can help professors know more about the practical world, and the development of real world.

______________________________

Your first paragraph argues, initially, that faculty should work outside academia in professions ... "because this makes faculty better connect to the real world professions." I think that's probably redundant (it probably goes without saying that one is better connected to such professions if one is working in one than if you are not).

The first part of your argument in the second paragraph is too vague. It's not clear what you mean by "the reality" and whether you intend to distinguish that from plain reality; and if not, why you think faculty don't consider reality enough as it is. The expression "to think practically," which you repeat two sentences later without further clarification, is also a bit vague. Ultimately, however, the example is a useful illustration of your meaning. Of course, it is also, arguably, the most obvious example, and for that reason it leaves a number of questions unanswered about fields who relation to real-world applications is more remote.

The next paragraph is fine. The argument of the penultimate paragraph, however, seems imprecise and less compelling to me, and since it's not contributing much to a consideration of the possible consequences of implementing the policy, it's probably fair to say it doesn't contribute much to the essay as a response to the prompt.

It should not be too difficult to think of any number of possible consequences of forcing professors to enter the real world (it might reduce the attraction of a university job; it might have a positive or an unfortunate impact on the direction of research undertaken at university; it might compromise the integrity and independence and virgin purity of academic research; it might cause cynicism or depression or, if we are talking about letting academic engineers into the real world, it might well result in things that break down more spectacularly than ever before). You need to deal with at least some of the possible negative consequences if you don't want a merely one-sided essay.