Some People Believe That The Purpose Of Education Is To Free The Mind And The Spirit. Others Believe That Formal Education Tends To Restrain Our Minds And Spirits Rather Than Set Them Free. - With A Free Essay Review

I agree with the statement that the purpose of education is to free the mind and the spirit, because only if people are free to think, they could come up with innovative ideas that superior to previous thoughts. In addition, I do not think formal education necessarily restrains people’s minds and spirits, instead I think formal education is necessary to make some free minds come true.

First of all, I think the purpose of education is to free the mind and the spirit, because two important things we are taught in schools are thinking and exploring the unknown world, in other words, think beyond the current scope. The goal of education is to equip students with the knowledge they need, and assist them to advance previous people. If students do not have free minds and spirits, rather, they are restrained by previous ideas, they are not likely superior to previous thoughts, and make a progress. Only if people set their minds free, they can freely imagine the unknown world, and that is how people come up with ideas like airplane, cellphone, spaceship, ect. If people are restrained by previous thoughts, they would never be able to fantasize the unknown world, and some of these advanced technologies would never be invented.

However, free minds and spirits alone cannot make our imaginative creation come true. I think the purpose of formal education is to educate people in a systematic way, but it does not necessarily hold back people’s minds. Students can receive formal education, and still be creative. Thus, instead of restraining people’s minds and spirits, I think formal education assist people to translate their free minds and spirits to the real world. Without formal training, and the systematic knowledge of engeering, even if people are free to imagine the spaceship in whatever way they want, the spaceship would still be an abstract idea, and it would be impossible to build one in reality.

To sum up, I think the purpose of education is to free the mind and the spirit, because the technology and science can only progress when people are free to think and explore the unknown worlds. However, I disagree that formal education tends to restrain people’s mind, and I think formal education is indispensable to translate imaginative thoughts to the real world.

__________________________

Even if it is true that only people who are "free to think" can "come up with innovative ideas," that is still no reason to agree that "the purpose of education is to free the mind and the spirit" unless you are not distinguishing between what the purpose of education typically is and what the purpose of education should be. You end the first paragraph with the claim that "formal education is necessary to make some free minds come true." Sorry to say, I cannot decipher that.

The first sentence of the next paragraph is also not very helpful or precise. I'm not sure what you mean by thinking “beyond the current scope,” or what you mean exactly by being "taught ... thinking." But the opening sentences of this paragraph at least seem to be aimed at justifying the first of the two claims in the prompt. The second part of the paragraph reverts to an apparent explanation of why the purpose of education _should be_ to free the mind, which is not what is in question in the prompt.

The next paragraph is closer to the mark, but it ends without an argumentative conclusion, and the abstract version of what you argue in the paragraph ("formal education assists people to translate their free minds and spirits to the real word") is a relatively poor attempt to articulate the claim that seems to be implied by your example.