The Following Appeared In A Memo From The Owner Of A Chain Of Cheese Stores - With A Response

‘The following appeared in a memo from the owner of a chain of cheese stores located throughout the United States. "For many years all the stores in our chain have stocked a wide variety of both domestic and imported cheeses. Last year, however, all of the five best-selling cheeses at our newest store were domestic cheddar cheeses from Wisconsin. Furthermore, a recent survey by Cheeses of the World magazine indicates an increasing preference for domestic cheeses among its subscribers. Since our company can reduce expenses by limiting inventory, the best way to improve profits in all of our stores is to discontinue stocking many of our varieties of imported cheese and concentrate primarily on domestic cheeses." Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.’

First of all, the author mentions that the chain of cheese stores should discontinue stocking varieties of imported cheeses since the five best-selling cheeses at their newest store were domestic cheeses. Thus, the first question that needs to be answered is whether the sales in their newest store reflect the sales of cheeses for the whole chain stores. It is possible that the outstanding sales of domestic cheeses is due to local popularity, and the sales of domestic cheeses might not be high in other stores; then, domestic cheeses might not be as popular as the author implies, and the author’s recommendation would be undermined. Even if domestic cheeses are the best selling cheeses, then, the second question that needs to be answered is whether the sale of domestic cheeses is the significant portion of the total sales; in other words, whether domestic cheddar cheeses make up the significant portion of the total sales or not. It is possible that the sales of all domestic cheese is less than the total sales of the imported cheeses; then, the author’s argument would be weakened. If the sale of domestic cheeses is a significant portion of the total sales, then, the author’s recommendation would be strengthened.

In addition, the author suggests that not stocking imported cheeses can improve profits. It is possible that selling one piece of imported cheese is more profitable than selling the same amount of domestic cheese. Then, even if the sales of domestic cheeses are high, selling domestic cheeses alone may not be as profitable as selling imported cheeses. Therefore, the third question that needs to be answered is if selling domestic cheeses is more profitable than selling the same amount of imported cheeses. If it is shown that the profit of unit sale of domestic cheeses is much higher than that of imported cheeses, then, the author’s recommendation would be strengthened.

Futhermore, the author mentions that not stocking imported cheeses can improve profits since it can reduce stocking expenses. It is possible that this chain store is known for its large selections, and customers like this chain stores because of their varieties. Thus the fourth question that needs to be answered is what is the major feature of this cheese chain store that attracts customers. In other words, will discontinuing selling other kinds of cheeses result in the drop of customers. If people value the variety of cheeses more, then stop stocking imported cheeses might potentially result in a loss of customers, and a loss of customer might lead to a decline in profits; thus, the author’s recommendation would be undermined.

To sum up, in order to evaluate the recommendation, several questions need to be answered: whether the sales of domestic cheeses is a large portion of the total sales; whether selling imported cheeses is more profitable than selling domestic cheeses; and whether stocking less imported cheese can result in a loss of customers or not.

____________________

Response

This essay is generally fine. It's good enough that it's worst issue was the number of grammatical errors and stylistic infelicities. I've silently corrected some of these errors here and suggest you review the corrections to get a sense of the scale of the problem.