Educational Institutions Have A Responsibility To Dissuade Students From Pursuing Fields Of Study In Which They Are Unlikely To Succeed. - With A Free Essay Review

“Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.”

I disagree with the above statement because field of study is completely based on student’s choice. A student can evaluate his weaknesses better than his parents and teachers. Commenting that bad performance in a particular field of study certainly leads to failure ignores some other related factors.

For example, if a student has personal or health problem which distracts him from his studies resulting in his bad performance in a particular field, then further expectation of failure in the subject may prove wrong because as soon as the situation would improve, he would regain his interest in the subject.

Educational institutions have responsibility to provide extra classes, special classes and doubt clearing sessions for extra help which is needed by weak students rather than discouraging them. Sometimes, proper counseling of such students enable them to choose appropriate field of study for them based on their interest and capability. In this way, encouraging them for their choice of field would be a positive approach towards the solution for the problem, automatically leading to elimination of other fields which are not suitable for them.

To sum up, educational institutions must encourage students to excel in the pursuing field or help them in identifying alternate best career options available for them rather than only dissuading them in the pursuing field which would be a negative approach towards it’s solution.

_____________________

You do not explain why you think the field of study should be "completely" the student's choice, or why you think a student "can evaluate his weaknesses" better than others. In the absence of such explanations, these assertions have little argumentative value. It's also not clear why you think it is relevant that inferring failure from bad performance "ignores some other factors." The argument that you are assessing does not mention such inferences. You could claim that the argument presupposes the ability of educational institutions to make such inferences, but even if you do that, it's not clear to me that questioning that ability is a reasonable response to the prompt here. The prompt, it seems to me, asks you to assume that it is possible to identify students who are unlikely to succeed in a particular field and determine whether, in that case, educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade such students from pursuing that field of study. It would be reasonable to argue that if institutions assume that responsibility, then they will sometimes dissuade students who ultimately would have succeeded, and that avoiding that possibility is more important than avoiding the negative consequences of having students pursue courses of study in which they fail, but it would be difficult to make that argument compelling without having first considered those negative consequences. You need to do that anyway because the instructions tell you to "address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position."

Submitted by: Ss12345

About Ss12345