Leaders Are Created By The Demands That Are Placed On Them. - With A Free Essay Review

“Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.”

I agree that leaders can be created by the demands that are placed on them, because most leaders serve people who elected them, and fulfill demands of people who supported him. However, I disagree that leaders are created by the demands that are placed on them alone, because individual abilities such as talents in leadership and personal characteristics also play important roles in creating leaders.

First of all, I agree that leaders can be created by the demands that are placed on them, because leaders are born where there is a need. For instance, Gandhi led Indians to fight against British governments in a non-violent way to protest their rights and pursue their freedom. He was a greater leader who helped Indians received their freedom. In this case, he created for that special time that there was the demand of freedom, and the situation that British deprived the freedom from most Indians. However, if there was no such demands and Indians had their freedom to begin with, then, Gandhi probably would not be known. Therefore, the demands that are placed on leader is one important component of creating leaders.

However, even though the demands that are placed on leaders are necessary to create leaders, leaders cannot be created by demands alone, because their personalities and talents in leadership are also important. Let's look at Gandhi’s example again, if the demand was placed on someone else, and the person chose other ways to protest their freedom, would he also be successful? It is possible that if the other person chose violent ways or other methods, then, the outcome would be different. In addition, for instance, Franklin Roosevelt was a famous president in the United States. He was created by the demands that were placed on him—during the great depression, citizens needed him to come up with various solutions to help America get out of depression, provide food to people who were starving, and replenish the economy. Even though there was a demand, imagine if he did not have talents in leadership, or he was incompetent, would he still be a great president? If the demand at the time was placed on any other people who could not even talk eloquently in front of people, would he become the second Roosevelt? Therefore, the demands that are placed on leaders alone cannot create leaders, and other personal abilities and characteristics are also important.

To sum up, I agree that the demands that are placed on leader are an important component of creating leaders; however, leaders cannot be created by the demand alone, personal characteristics are also important.

__________________________

The argument of your essay is not completely coherent, and is underdeveloped. It depends too much on the examples and, at crucial points, on rhetorical questions (I would recommend replacing the rhetorical questions in your essay with explicit claims that you can and should support).

Your first serious claim is that leaders are "born where there is a need" (that's my polite way of disrespecting the essay's first sentence); but instead of explaining that claim, or clarifying how it relates to the original argument, you just give an example of a leader who "helped Indians receive their freedom." You do note that in the absence of the demand for freedom, "Gandhi probably would not be known" but that point, if it is true, seems to demonstrate the truth of a different claim from the one your essay is intended to assess. It demonstrates, or seeks to demonstrate, that the existence of demands are a condition of the possibility of there being a leader. You seem to be suggesting, in other words, that there must be some need that has to be met for there to be a leader.

Whether that really is a different point depends, of course, on how one interprets the original claim, which I admit is not entirely clear (it is one of those silly aphoristic statements that is more suggestive than precise), but it seems to me there is a distinction to be made between "leaders are created by demands" and "leaders can arise only when there are demands that need to be met," and if you are making, as seems to be the case, the second of these claims, and that is as much as you believe about the relationship between demands and the emergence of leadership, then you are really disagreeing with the original claim, not, as you initially say, agreeing.

If you wanted to agree, then I think you would have to argue that the talents of leadership emerge in response to demands. You would have to imagine, for example, that a leader's courage develops in the exigent circumstances in which he overcomes his original fear. You go on to argue, however, that a leader must already possess the talents that are a required of a leader.