Educational Institutions Have A Responsibility To Dissuade Students From Pursuing Fields Of Study In Which They Are Unlikely To Succeed - With A Free Essay Review

Instructions: “Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.”

The speaker asserts that educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. Although this assertion has merit, I am inclined to query its accuracy in two aspects: (1) do educational institutions have the ability to precisely determine the promising fields now and in the future? (2) do educational institutions have the right to interfere with the students' freedom of chooing their career by dissuasion or persuasion?

The assertion was made largely due to the generally accepted goal of education, which is to prepare students for the future. Considering this established goal, one could argue that students need to know the most promising fields in order to get better job opportunities and be success, and the society requires students to follow the trends and satisfy the needs in order to promote social progress and prosperity. Thus, it is necessary for educational institutions to lead the students to the study fields that are most demanded by the society and avoid them being too blindfold.

However, when it comes to the question that can educational institutions define and predict the specific fields that are more likely to bring success, I doubt that. Since the world is developing with each passing day, social needs are changing beyond everyone's imagination. A case in point is the Internet industry. The Internet started as a small, phone-linked networks for military use. Even the scientists who created it cannot imagine that, in a short span of 40 years, the initial small experimental network would grow into today's univisal and ubiquitous Internet. Another example would be the dot-com bubble, when a large number of people realized the booming potential of the Internet and started companies hoping to gain financial successes, yet ended up bankruptcy. In short, no one can capture the movement of the world. The views held by educational institutions may mislead the students.

Another question I am dubious about is that should education institutions interfere the students' freedom of choosing their career by dissuasion or persuasion? As a student, I feel that authorities' behaviors, like dissuasion and persuasion, are actually compulsive and forceful to some extent. If my teacher tells me that he thinks there are already too many computer programmers now, and unless I give up my dream and convert to study mathematics, I will never be success, I will feel extremely stressful and depressed, and even begin to doubt myself. If I am persuaded and begin study mathematics, I may not do as well as I do in computer science, since a prevailing concept in education philosophy is interest and willingness is the best teacher. If the educational institutions really want to warn some students, instead of dissuading them, I think they should provide students statistics about the employment and let the students make decisions themselves.

In sum, it is out of kindness that educational institutions dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed, however, as institutions cannot determine which fields are promising and which are not, and they should not interfere the students freedom in choosing career, it is not advisable.

Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

_________________________

Your response to the prompt is based on a fairly narrow interpretation of the meaning of "to succeed," and one that I do not think is justified by the context. If that interpretation were reasonable, then your two arguments (that educational institutions cannot predict "which fields are promising" and they "should not interfere with the students freedom") would also be reasonable, although I would not recommend devoting much attention to the first of these arguments because it challenges the terms of the question (i.e., you are expected, I take it, to assume that educational institutions have the necessary knowledge, and only explain whether they have the responsibility to act on that knowledge).

What the prompt is actually asking is whether educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade those particular students who lack the wherewithal to succeed in a particular field from pursuing that field. To answer this question, you should again assume that an educational institution can tell when an aspiring artist just has no talent, or when an aspiring programmer can't hack it, so to speak. You should then consider what the relevant issues are; i.e., what does the student stand to lose, what does the university stand to lose, and what does society stand to lose if a student destined for failure is not disuaded in the suggested way? If the educational institution does not have the stated responsibility, who, if anyone does? The second argument you raise in the current draft of your essay is also potentially relevant.

Submitted by: tomato_cat

About tomato_cat