True Success Can Be Measured Primarily In Terms Of The Goals One Sets For Oneself - With A Free Essay Review

Instructions: “Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.”

Every person would want to do something in their work or personal life- it may be educating their kids in a good school, buying a house or finishing a project or starting a business etc. Whatever it is, people first think of how to achieve what they want and get a plan in their mind, at least roughly. These plans have be used to set long-term or short-term goals so that, every now and then, one knows where one stands in achieving our final goal. Once the final goal is reached, that is called success. So goals that one sets for oneself act as measurement of their success.

Let us consider what happens when people don't set goals. Goals are the first step to get what one wants to achieve. If a person thinks of achieving something and never sets a goal, he/she would just be dreaming about achieving them and never get to do so and gradually get lost in their way to success. On the other hand, when setting a goal, people clearly know what their actions should be and what they are going towards so that they would never be lost.

In addition to throwing light on our path to success, goals also help in motivating people as they work towards their success. For examples, a person may be planning to start a business. This being his/her long-term goal, they would have set up short term goals like working in a company for 2 years and earning initial capital for their buisiness, finding out proper location for their business, starting the buisiness, achieving customer satisfaction etc. Most of the time, when one's ambitions are high and one's way to success is too long, there is a possibility that one might get demotivated in the mid-way and drop their ambition and continue with what they have, for the rest of their lives. Splitting up the process and setting up short term goals would defenitely motivate people as achieving every short-term goal means that they are one more step closer to success.

To sum, the goals that one sets for oneself is definitely the primary measure to one's success as these goals show one where they stand in their success path and help them to move farther by motivating and pushing them towards success.

________________________

With the exception of the first paragraph, you are writing an essay that is primarily concerned with demonstrating the usefulness of having personal goals for the purposes of achieving success. It is a reasonable version of such an essay, but unfortunately that is not the essay that the prompt requires you to write. The issue here is whether we ought to measure success by the extent to which we achieve our personal goals, or whether success is a matter instead of achieving the goals that, say, society has decided constitute success. Can a poor, homeless person be a "true success" if he achieves his personal goals despite his indigent condition? Can a multi-millionaire rock star or CEO of a major corporation be rightly considered a "true success" even though she keeps postponing her lifetime ambition of becoming a philosopher. I think you need to reread the prompt and take another bash at this essay.

Submitted by: shree_2012

About shree_2012