GRE Issue Essay: Does Our Ever-increasing Use Of Technology Significantly Reduce Our Opportunities For Human Interaction? - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: “Some people believe that our ever-increasing use of technology significantly reduces our opportunities for human interaction. Other people believe that technology provides us with new and better ways to communicate and connect with one another. Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented.”

I agree with the statement that technology provides better ways to communicate and connect to people and does not reduce our opportunities for human interaction. The usage of technology is ever increasing and also some new technology or improvements to existing ones comes in every day. Nowadays, irrespective of ages, people use technology to connect and communicate to other people. It is very rare to see a house in which people dont use mobiles or tablets or computers these days. Such increasing use of technology not only helps people to connect to their friends and relatives, but also to get to know many people with common interests or get new friends or connect to people who can give you job opportunities.

There are a lot of examples to list regarding how technology provides people with better ways to communicate with others. Here are most popular examples - there are a lot of social networking sites that allow people to communicate with other people around the world, find new friends who have common interests, participate in open discussions about various interesting topics, express their feelings about what they like the most and what they don't like and so on. There are also other advantages of modern technology. People can connect with other people who work in good companies and get to know them. This can help them in getting a better job opportunity and a good career. There are so many other ways of better and effective interaction with people around the globe as use of technology increases.

I would say that technology only increases our opportunities to interact with other people. Using technology, people get to become friends with friends of their friends. They then hangout with them and the human interaction increases. One might argue that not every one hangs out like that and that people only connect to other people through their mobiles or computers. I agree that there are few people who connect to other people only through these devices, but still it is much better than having a very small group of friends as people get to know about different things when they connect to so many people using the latest technology. Besides, even before there was an increase in the use of technology, people used to interact with other people at home, workplace or their schools and even now people have these human interaction every day.

In sum, technology not only helps people to communicate and connect with other people across the globe in better ways, but also increases the opportunities for human interaction. There would be only increase in human interaction with increase in use of technology if people know how to use it.

_________________________

The weakest part of the essay (which overall is reasonably good) is the limited scope of its engagement with the view with which you do not align. In other words, you don't do a great job of imagining why someone might think that our use of technology reduces opportunities for human interaction. You do note that some people might object that "people only connect to other people through their mobiles or computers" but you don't really consider the significance of that view and more or less just dismiss it by saying that that's still better than "having a very small group of friends." But some might argue that authentic human interaction requires being in the physical presence of other humans. Others might argue, for example, that connecting with someone by email or irc (instead of in person or even by telephone, where at least we speak, and hear the other's voice) is not a genuine form of human interaction. If we do our banking and our shopping and our "hanging out" online, does that not mean we have fewer opportunities to interact with other people. Perhaps one of the issues here that ought to be directly addressed in your essay is what counts as human interaction. Is this review, in which I write to you, and of your writing, a form of interaction?

On the other side of the argument, your examples of the way that technology helps people connect are reasonable, but you don't address very many of the relevant issues here. You are agreeing with the position that technology provides us with better ways of communication, and cite, for example, "social networking sites that allow people to communicate with other people around the world." We were able to communicate with people around the world fifty years ago, and, with a bit more effort and time, hundreds of years ago. So what, in this case, is new and better? That's the type of question that you need to answer.

Submitted by: shree_2012

About shree_2012