GRE Issue Essay : Young People Should Be Encouraged To Pursue Long-term, Realistic Goals - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: “Young people should be encouraged to pursue long-term, realistic goals rather than seek immediate fame and recognition.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.”

I agree with the statement that young people should be encouraged to pursue long-term, realistic goals rather than seek immediate fame and recognition, because there is no easy success; thus, people should be encouraged to set long-term goals, and put hard work into them instead of counting on overnight successes.

First of all, I agree with that people should be encouraged to pursue long-term, realistic goals rather than seek immediate fame and recognition because there is no easy success, and the odd of overnight success is small. For instance, a boy who wants to be a well-known pianist, even if he is very talented, it takes years of practices and hard work in order to achieve that goal. Is it possible that he plays computer games all the time instead of practing the piano, then one day he wakes up, and he is a famous pianist? Edison once said “Genius is 1 percent of inspiration and 99 percent of perspiration.” Even the greatest physicist, Einstein, spent years of work before he came up with the world-famous theory— the theory of special relativity. According to these samples, I agree the statement because most successes and recognitions require long-term, consistent hard works. In these circumstances, it is almost impossible that one can succeed without putting in years of hard work, and setting a long-term goal, thus, young people should be encouraged to set long-term realistic goals.

Secondly, sometimes, it takes time to succeed, and the process cannot be accelerated. There are some people who are very ambitious and really want to be recognized by others in a short period of time. However, sometimes it takes time to succeed, and people have to work step by step. For instance, an ambitious girl, who really wants to learn a lot of knowledge at school, takes ten classes one semester while the average load is 5 courses. She studies hard everyday and runs from one class to another. However, she sets an impossible goal, and she just does not have enough time to spend on each course, because her schedule is very overwhelming. In this circumstance, she may not be able to do well in all of the courses, because she does not have time to really dive into any course. For this reason, sometimes, even when people are hardworking and ambitious, they still can not aggressively accelerate the process of work. As it is said that “Rome was not built in one day”, thus the immediate recognition is not very practical sometimes. In addition, most of successes are built upon numerous hard work; thus I think people should be encouraged to pursue long-term, realistic goals.

I’m not arguing against the claim that a short-term goal is not necessary or the long-term realistic goal is the only choice. Even people who have long-term goals still need to work hard to succeed. However, I think that young people should be encouraged to pursue long-term, realistic goals rather than seek immediate fame and recognition, because there is no easy success, and if there is, the chance is small. In addition, sometimes success can not be accelerated, thus people should be encouraged to set long-term goals, and put work hard into them.

_________________________________

The first sentence of the second paragraph is a repetition of the introduction (the introduction, in other words, is unnecessary). The examples in this paragraph (the famous pianist, Einstein) are a bit odd given that you are arguing in favor of young people setting "realistic goals." Becoming a famous pianist is not a realistic goal; it's one of the most unlikely outcomes even for a student who does not while his days away engaged in virtual warfare. Since there are as few famous theoretical physicists as there are famous pianists, the Einstein example is also a bit odd. Your point presumably is that given that the most celebrated pianists and physicists devoted years of work to their ultimate success, ordinary people would be foolish to think there are shortcuts to fame and recognition. But, first, you don't actually say that; and, second, even if you had said that, it would be more appropriate to a different prompt, to a question, for example, about how someone who wanted fame and recognition should go about getting it. The choices you are supposed to consider here are not those between instant fame and the kind of fame that takes years of hard work to acquire, but between instant fame and, say, a decent, relatively secure and anonymous job at a decent company with a pension plan.

In the next paragraph you say that people should be encouraged to pursue long term goals because success takes hard work and it takes time to succeed. That doesn't seem that different from your previous argument, but you add the interesting point that even hard-working people cannot "aggressively accelerate the process of work." You want, you say in your comment below, an example of explaining your reasoning; well, that is an example. It is perhaps an incomplete example, however, because your paragraph’s example (the story about the over-ambitious student) suggest more than you explicitly claim; it suggests that the attempt to aggressively accelerate the process of work can have negative consequences. A complete explanation of your reason in this case would make explicit what is implicit in the example.

Uofr6460
+1

Dear EJ. I'm not quite sure how to explain the reason why I disagree or agree when I'm required to rovide an explanation. Can you give me an example? Thanks!
June,27 2012