GRE Issue Essay: Educators Should Base Their Assessments Of Students Learning Not On Student's Grasp Of Facts - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: “Educators should base their assessment of students' learning not on students' grasp of facts but on the ability to explain the ideas, trends, and concepts that those facts illustrate.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.”

Education is a broad term which comprises honing minds, providing knowledge in different fields, increasing competence through comprehension, developing latent talents, and improving abstract learning. Students should be assessed not just by their ability to grasp various facts by rote learning but understanding and applying the knowledge and cultivating habits of reasoning and logic which can make pupils more proficient in their respective fields.

When we learn we try to understand and then rehearse so that we could memorize it. But when we simply memorize by cramming then it is most likey that whatever facts learnt will be forgotten even though we score well in the examination. Our education system should not evaluate students performance just on the basis of annual examinations but on regular tests and other activites so that overall intelligence and hard work of the child could be assessed objectively and deserving students get reinforced to do well next time.

Disciples are taught different subjects like social studies, science, mathematics. But very few teachers instigate a habit of reasoning and critical thinking and teaching of how they are appliable in different situations. For example in the class of Moral science, students are taught about things like honesty, following traffic rules and effects of drugs and smoking, peer pressure, punctuality and others. But if the teacher is not following the rules then children will not apply these to their lives but cram for their exam. Students or children do what they see not what they hear. This is a reason why so many parents complain that we never taught our child to lie but he/she is lying; it shows that the child is doing what is around him/her.

Schools and colleges should have in their system to give more credit to students who are active in various activities, punctual to the class, and are disciplined. So that the task of education should not be merely to teach text book material and score high in examinations but to make them better individuals. Pupils should have the feat to argue or debate the topic discussed in the class, more appreciation should be given to the volunteers or other participants. In this way teachers can evaluate who was more attentive in the class.

There are so many areas and fields in science and mathematics where theoretical explanations are given. Though they are not ecumenical, they are applicable in many ways. While teaching such subjects students should be invigorated to question the aspects which they think are not correct or when some dilemma occur in their young minds and they could clear it,this will also help other students in the class to be able to absorb the topic well and clear the facts.

Theoretical as well as practial training in different subject should be fortified so that everyv chid could learn by doing and could visualise the material and store in the long term memory.

Educators should make sure that their evaluation and assessment of the student is of overall performance and not on the basis of single examination. Their minds should be sharpened by implementing practical knowledge and enhancing their comprehension and competence in their respective fields.

____________________________

Your essay is not really responsive to the prompt.

You begin your second paragraph with the claim that rote memorization has little value, which is a reasonable claim, but you don't explicitly link it to a further claim related to the original statement. Instead you argue for the value of continuous assessment over annual examinations, neither of which topics is mentioned in the original statement.

You devote the next paragraph to the claim that students and children will imitate their teachers' or parents' actions instead of doing what they are taught or told. This paragraph is interesting in itself but, like the previous paragraph, it is not relevant to the assigned task. It has nothing to do with the question of whether teachers ought to base their assessment on students' grasp of facts or on their ability to explain the ideas, trends, and concepts that those facts illustrate"

The next paragraph has essentially the same problem.

You need to focus on the issues raised in the given statement. If you agree with the statement, you need to explain why you think it makes sense to base assessments on the ability to explain ideas, etc.. You need to explain what you think a teacher who based their assessments on that ability would achieve. Why would it benefit the student? What would it encourage the student to do? Why would it be a better measure of the students accomplishment as a student?

Submitted by: harmangrewal

Harmangrewal
+1

Thanks for the review.
June,26 2012