GRE Issue Essay; Governments Must Ensure That Their Major Cities Receive The Financial Support They Need - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: "Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive. Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based."

I agree that governments should ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive, but I do not totally agree with the reason just mentioned above. In my opinion, the reason why government must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support is that major cities are usually more famous than other cities. For example, when we talk about the United States, I will first think of New York, and when talking about France, Paris comes to mind. This phenomenon is universal to almost every people. Due to the reputation of those major cities, it is more easy to catch the attraction to foreigners and produces the chances to introduce the nation’s unique characteristics to all over the world. Once the nation is more connected to the world, it is more likely to thrive, because it might attract more tourists to the country and promote their special foods or buildings to whom are unfamiliar with it but have interests in it. Thus in order to make the nation thrive, the major cities play an important role. If the city lacks funding, it is hard to make constructions and also difficult to promote their own. The city needs financial support to make sure its unique cultural tradition is preserved, to construct a convenient and suitable environment for everyone to live in or travel around and to promote the city to the world, for instance, by holding a worldwide event such as Olympics. It seems that it is important to preserve and generate a nation’s culture traditions in major cities; however, the argument is why the major city is. A nation’s culture tradition should be very similar all over the nation, though there might exist a little bit differences between them, because these traditions come from nationals but not the city on its own. So I suggest that the reason is due to the well-known reputation of those major cities. Although I cannot deny that the reason why major cities is well-known might be related to the cultural and historical issues which seem to concord with the reason mentioned in this issue, it is more indirect and roundabout compared to the reason I claimed.

___________________________

Your response to this question is a bit rambling. The basic point is reasonable (in the sense of being arguable): major cities should receive financial support in order ultimately to support the nation by making the major cities attractive to tourists. That at least is my best guess concerning the content of your major argument. But it takes you a while to get to that point, and once you've got there you move on immediately to the question of a nation's cultural traditions; but then you deal with that question only superficially and a bit confusingly. You say "the argument is why the major city is," but I'm afraid the meaning of that claim is fairly opaque. It's also unclear what "traditions come from nationals mean."

Overall, your essay doesn't significantly address the reason cited in the prompt for the original claim. That's a serious weakness. You need to explain whether you think, and then why you think, that it is "in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated." Do you think cultural traditions are preserved in the cities? (Hint: consider the role of universities, theatres, and museums in the cities versus cultural activities found in rural areas). Do you think cultural traditions are generated in the cities? (Hint: consider the role of political, social, intellectual, and artistic groups in generating cultural traditions, and whether they are exclusively found in cities). If you do agree with the statement cited as the reason for the original claim, do you think that statement justifies the view that governments are obliged to support major cities?

Submitted by: realfish

About realfish