GRE Issue Essay:The Increasingly Rapid Pace Of Life Today Causes More Problems Than It Solves - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: "The increasingly rapid pace of life today causes more problems than it solves. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position."

I agree that the increasingly rapid pace of life today causes more problems than it solves because due to the increasing pace of life, people spend less time on living a life than on working to live. However, I do agree that rapid pace of life today can indeed contribute to the increasing productivity of the society.

First of all, new technologies and tools make people move faster and faster. In order to adapt to the increasingly rapid pace of life, most people use cars as their primary tool to commute. Nowadays, people take driving for granted. Since people spend more time in their cars, they barely get chances to walk. How often does a typical American walk? From parking lot to buildings, and from one building to another? And how often do we exercise? We do not need to make special plans to work out in gyms; instead, we can just slow down, and walk to some nearby places if it does not take too long. That is a good exercise.

Secondly, in order to save more time, the increasingly rapid pace of life also gives birth to fast food. We can find fast food restaurants everywhere in the US, and they attract us to stop by. Now, a typical American spends significantly less time on their meals, because these fast foods save a lot of time for us. However, they also bring about problems such as obesity and malnutrition, because most of these fast foods contain a lot of calories but barely any nutrition. We might save some time for work, but these fast foods bring about health problems as well.

In addition, many convenient, and time saving devices make us unable to do some simple tasks by ourselves. Thanks to calculators, it takes a long time for many young students to do simple algebra. It is the same with the built in spell-checker; many people have a hard time to spell. Sometimes, people get lost in these time saving tools.

I admit that increasingly rapid pace of life makes people more productive than ever before. People save a lot of time with the convenient new technologies and devices. The productivity is indeed higher, and the society provides a good variety of products and choices. Altough the increasing productivity satifies our demand of various things we need to live, we also need to think about what we live for. If we sacrifce our health for work, will this contradict our primary goals.

Overall, I agree that the increasingly rapid pace of life today causes more problems than it solves, because with the increasing pace of life, people spend less time on living a life and being healthy.

________________________

Generally, one might say that in a fast-paced life, people tend to be in a hurry to get where they are going and to get things done (and perhaps you could also say that people do in fact tend to get where they are going more quickly and to get what they want done done more quickly). You are arguing that the problems that attend this way of life tend to outweigh the benefits, and for the most part your arguments are reasonable enough. Your argument that the use of cars reduces our opportunities to walk, for instance, is reasonable. The problem there is that you don't really specify why not walking is a problem; instead of making your argument directly, you ask questions (questions that are more or less rhetorical; i.e., questions to which the answer is more or less obvious). I think it is a mistake to make your argument in that way; and I think it is a bigger mistake to finish the paragraph by telling us what we can do instead of taking our car or going to the gym. At that point, you have gone off on an unnecessary tangent.

What you need to do is explain why you think driving cars in a hurry everywhere causes more problems than it solves. Its impact on the exercise we get is one relevant issue. There is also the impact on the environment to consider. And there is also the fact that the ability to drive to work does save us time that we can use for other purposes, and so on.

Your next argument is much clearer, so let me skip to your comments about calculators. You were probably influenced here by another GRE prompt (reliance on technology to solve problems impacts our ability to think for ourselves) but I think you've been led astray. If you wanted to measure the pace of life, perhaps one of the things you would do is measure the amount of time people spend in cars, and the amount of money they spend in fast food restaurants, but I'm not sure you would try to measure the pace of life by looking at the use of calculators or spell-check software.

Best, EJ